Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bivying and strong drink
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Are the two inextricably linked? A lot of threads pertaining to bivying also mention hipflasks. Are spirits deployed as an experience enhancer or as a sleep aid out in spooky wood?

househusband

Well I’ve never done it without…

binners

We did the three towers as a Bivvi ride, stopped in Darwen (2/3 of the way round), went to the pub, drank loads of beer, then went for a curry, then retired to the moor with our hip flasks.

I would heartily recommend this approach 😀

ton

most folk wil only sip spirits, a hip flask is small and easy to carry.
    if you took ale with you, you would need

monksie
    Free Member

He’s asking why you did, not what did you do.
    Comprehension boys, comprehension.

MrSparkle

Binners – which pub?

binners

I think it was the Millstone. It was very ROCK!!!!

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve not done any yet, but I have had some kit for xmas (including a hip flask) I’m planning on taking a 50cl bottle of wine and a hip flask filled with port…..possibly do a pub stop during the day too.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The two things don’t have to go hand in hand (I don’t drink) … I did once go on a trip and didn’t take any tea, that really was a struggle 😉

psling
    Free Member

A social thing, passing round the hipflask, general bonhomie.

If I’m alone a flask of hot hot-chocolate is much more heartwarming whilst curled up in the sleeping bag 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

This is why I take 750ml of wine in a bladder instead 🙂

I dont like spirits much and would go through a flask-ful far too quickly. And Im damned if Im carrying the 3 or 4 litres of beer Id like, so wine is nearly perfect. Although I reckon a bottle of good Sherry or Port would do it too 🙂

binners

I presume there’s a cheese board to go with the port Stoner? 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

stinky rucksack? no thanks.
    Peanuts will do 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Momentum magazine had these…

binners

You should have smelt the area around our bivvies after all of us having a massive curry

*PAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP!!!!!*

😀

highlandman
    Free Member

Last March, when the ground was still dry, we bivvied in the hills on the edge of an old Scots pinewood; one flask of Jura, one of home-made sloe gin. I slept like a baby until a roe deer trotted right into and through the camp in the moonlight, almost tripping over my bag.
    The bacon rolls on the way to the office were the best ever.

matt_outandabout

If you are doing it, do it right…The first two barrels in the picture may contain a few local beerio samples, as well as a sample from one or two of the distilleries we paddled past…

Canoe river Spey by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

duckman

Hell yes booze and bivvy,we even gave a fellow teacher a hip flask with the grid ref of where we do our final Duke of Edinburgh camp when she retired,as we tend to “unwind” a bit at that particular camp.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Duckman – what an ace pressie.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Assuming the grid ref was engraved into the flask….

glupton1976
    Free Member

M_OAB – Take a bow. That looks most excellent.

40mpg

I work on the basis that i’ll get about 4 hours sleep on any bivvy. This relates directly to:
    1. Getting kicked out of the (distant) pub after a lock-in about 1.30 am, bivvying down about 2.30, getting woken by the rain about 6.30
    2. A 4-hour night time bladder limit after the cider and brandy.

That 4 hours though – completely dead to the world. Some of the most undisturbed sleep I get – so sleep aid for me 🙂

We have on a couple of occasions arranged for a ‘stash’ of beer to be hidden in advance near our bivvy spot to prolong the alfresco activities.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Oh its Bivvi???
    Thought it was Bevvi…. 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

Wow. A straight answer from 40mpg. Thank you.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bivying and strong drink’ is closed to new replies.