Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bivvying without a bivvy bag – will I die?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Planning a bivvy in Glen Nevis at the weekend and intend to rig a tarp for shelter, then just use sleeping bag and mat. Forecast is good.

I’m assuming that I can get away with not using a bivvy bag, or am I missing something and will wake up cold and wet due to condensation etc? Just a little concerned since the outside of my tent is generally covered in frost/ice in the morning.

Area is sheltered and not particularly high (400m).

boblo
    Free Member

Why?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Tape up one end of a poundland/99p store emergency tent and slide yourself into that?

qwerty
    Free Member

Although not insulated a bivvy bag must act as a layer and a wind break and increase warmth, no? Google B&B for a solution.

sharkbait
    Free Member

That’s not bivvying though…. it’s just lying on the ground [possibly feeling cold and daft].
    I am not a bivvist though and am probably talking carp 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You will need some sort of insulation betwen yourself and the ground or you will have a cold, uncomfortable, sleepless night.

You won’t die. You may wish that you had.

honeybadgerx

The problem I tend to find is that when I’m asleep I wriggle around a fair bit so sometimes end up with part of my sleeping bag off my mat, if I didn’t have it in a bivvy bag it’d probably get wet.

Also, won’t the weight of a tarp pretty much be the same as a bivvy bag?

peterfile
    Free Member

Why?

Last minute change of plans means I need to keep weight down so can’t carry the tent. Not got bivvy bags, I decided to pick up a couple of Hunka XLs but they are out of stock. Would rather put the cash towards a sub 2kg tent anyway I think.

You will need some sort of insulation betwen yourself and the ground or you will have a cold, uncomfortable, sleepless night.

I’ll have a mat of course, just want to do away with the need for the tent.

qwerty
    Free Member

You won’t die.

Oh yes he will.

AlexSimon

Condensation definitely wont be a problem 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

that’s a pretty nice wee tent, but there’s two of us. Might head to Decathlon at lunchtime

thegreatape
    Free Member

It was a balmy 6 degrees C when I got home at 3am, so I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bivvying without a bivvy bag – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.