Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bivvying this weekend!
  • masterwatson2000
    Free Member

I’ve finally collected all the kit together for my first bivibike trip this Saturday and I cannot wait!

Craig5 (also first time bivvier) and I are heading off into the lakes, and we want to go big. I’ve got several options in my head, including some form of Helvellyn range loop (up keppel, along the tops, down sticks), but having never done that loop before, I would be unsure where the best bivi spot would be. Other options include up out of Mickleden, over Rossett Pike and on to Styhead Tarn and bivi there before coming back either down Rossett Gill, or round and down Stake Pass, which I have done before and loved.

So a couple of questions really…

1, Which of these routes would STWers go for and
    2, Are there any seasoned Bivi Bikers out there that could recommend us a bivi spot or route that blows these two routes out of the water (lakes based obvs!).

scotroutes

If I’m being completely honest, I’d try something a little less “epic” for your first night. It might take you a while to sort out what works for you and you may not want to be miles from anywhere, knackered, with another big ride the following day.

jameso

you may not want to be miles from anywhere, knackered, with another big ride the following day.

Nah. Caution to the wind and rain and learn faster : ) he who dares etc..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

What Colin said… Big days out carrying all your Bivi kit, are completely different to big days out.
    Especially If it’s your first time..

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

I understand your concerns, These are pretty remote locations I’m suggesting here, but I’ve picked relatively short (albeit all mountain) routes that mean that we shouldn’t get too knackered. I know Rossett Pike is a long slog up, and I imagine Keppel Cove will be similar, but then that’s pretty much all the hard work done. We then cover the last few kms, set up shop, and get descending in the morning!

Having said all that though, I’ve just checked the advanced Lake District mountain forecast (obviously by no means 100% accurate at present), but gales may be on the cards, so I guess if any of you Lakes bivvyers could suggest us some lower alternative routes that might keep the worst of the weather off us, we’d appreciate it!

craig5

once im in my bag and bivvy, dosent matter if im in the garden. im not getting out till the morning. We then decend to the pub. just about done drilling holes in my toothbrush, mug, inner-tubes etc. im ready. any top low level spots/routes we have over looked in case of bad weather would be appreciated. cant wait

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Bump 😀

plumber
    Free Member

certainly pre-test your stuff with a night in the local dogging spot

richpips
    Free Member

Up Rossett Pike with a loaded bike. I can’t think of anything less appealing.

Staveley and the Garburn pass would be a better option in bad weather.

jameso

OP, if no good tips come up, sounds like you’d be best packing light and for mixed weather, making it up as you go (couple of ‘rules’ of bivi spots – don’t plan ahead too rigidly and take the first acceptable one that presents itself at the right time, rather than ‘there may be a better one just along here..’. East-facing is nice.), have a bail-out option or 3, then come back to tell us if we were right / wrong, how good / ‘epic’ it was .. : )

Bivi-ing high up gets you those great views and that magic 20 mins in the morning as you start a day rolling down the trail, but lower down is usually better for shelter, obviously. As long as you don’t have an hour’s climb / hike a bike after getting up, all’s good. Try bearbones bikepacking forum, may get some route hints there?

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Cheers Jameso, some good tips there… Finally!

Thanks for the bucket of scorn Richpips. I’m aware that Rossett is a bugger to climb, maybe I forgot to mention the acres of ‘adventurous spirit’ that I possess. I imagine Garburn being a latitudinal summit would probably be just as exposed, if not more exposed than Styhead Tarn in a prevailing wind.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bivvying this weekend!’ is closed to new replies.