Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bivvy time – cooking & eating
  • 40mpg

Start of the bivvy season for us southerners, just wondering what people are using for cooking / eating / drinking implements.

I’m after a small, light, cup-in-pot for heating a bit of brekky and a cup of tea (I’ll probably get a little Hi-Gear stove like below as they are only £12.99 at Go-Outdoors)

Happy to fabricate something out of tin cans if necessary 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

looks a nice little msr pocket rocket knock off that.

I have some non-msr nested pans that work well.
    if I had the spare cash Id get the alpkit ti mug though,

matt_outandabout

I vary between these:

Cheap set of old stainless steel pans from years back, an old non-stick frying pan and a spork. Job done, whether carrying up a mountain or paddling a river for a few days..

tonyplym
    Free Member

+1 for Kelly Kettle.

40mpg

Kelly kettle Trekker 1 pint (smallest one) 839g! Don’t really fancy lugging that round on the bike, even if I could cook in a hurricane (which I shall be very careful to avoid having to do)

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got a pocket rocket and an alpkit mug.

although i reckon that half of one of these sets would be ace – loads of those in go outdoors too…

kennyp
    Free Member

Cold food. Saves the hassle of carrying around stoves, fuel, pots, plates etc. Less to go wrong too.

Cougar

Let me know how you get on with that HiGear thing, I’ve had an eye on one for a while.

GoSystem do one that looks almost identical too (the Fly). I’ve had a couple of GoSystem Trek stoves and they’ve been absolutely brilliant.

http://www.go-system.co.uk/leisure/stoves-and-lanterns.html

matt_outandabout

The Higear is fine – the bottom pivots can go wobbly though.

matt_outandabout

And any ghillie/storm/kelly kettle is too big to lug around on a bike….I have a wee .75lt storm and a bunch of 2lt ones at work. Ace things, especially on a wet cold night…but not small, or light. We cook on ours at times as well, but you do go through some amazing amount of twigs/wood – realistically you need to take a good knife and/or hatchet as well 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bivvy time – cooking & eating’ is closed to new replies.