Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bivvy spots in the Pentlands?
  • fatmax

Hi
    Having a wee practice for a go at the Capital Trail route in September and want to bivvy in the Pentlands this week while the weather is good.
    Anyone got any good spots – Harlaw reservoir, between Green Cleugh and Loganlea reservoir, up by Bonaly reservoir, the woods just above the Scout Camp at Bonaly…any good advice on location would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Fraser

st66

There’s quite a nice spot at the Bore stane – feels a bit more remote than the other spots you mention around the reservoirs.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve camped up there a few times but have tended to have tended to do so on the hill tops or on the ridges. If you’re looking for somewhere sheltered then the quarry at the top of Hare Hill would be an option or, as already mentioned, near the top of the Borestane would also be good.

Best place I’ve pitched there so far were at the top of East Cairn Hill.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d go hilltops and ridges too.

scotroutes

NT142614

zinaru
    Free Member

top of black hill! great spot for sunrise as well.

whitestone
    Free Member

I know you have different access laws in Scotland but putting such locations in the public domain might not be the best strategy, look at the Loch Lomond restrictions. Perhaps better to PM the OP.

jimmy

There’s plenty of yoof camping and resulting mess goes on in the Pentlands, lower down closer to suburbia. This won’t make any difference.

fatmax

Thanks folks, much appreciated. Quarry on Hare Hill is a god shout. Borestane, East Cairn Hill and druidh’s GR look good, but I haven’t been up there before and it might be dark by the time I’m up in the Pentlands, so might save those for another day when I can be sure I won’t get lost – or might pop up if I make it there in time.
    Top of Black Hill – do you access the track through Logan House?
    whitestone – think we are ok, not the same recreational pressure on the Pentlands, especially if its for an ad hoc bivvy.
    Cheers folks, much appreciated.

zinaru
    Free Member

fatmax

you can go up to blackhill summit from threipmuir/dens cleugh path. there is a rough quad bike track not far beyond the ruin, it flatten out nearer to top.

you then get a great descent down the gravel track al the down to logans cottage in the morning to warm up. and ive been lucky with very cool cloud inversions around the kips at first light as well. marvellous stuff.

fatmax

I’d read that before Colin, but great pics. Allermuir is pretty accessible if I come up through Bonaly, so that’s a good shout too.
    Really looking forward to it…dry, light breeze and a low of only 15!

fatmax

Folks
    Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I ended up in the dip / at the crossroads between Allermuir Hill and Capelaw Hill in a nice sheltered spot by the wall. Great night for it, pretty clear skies and not too cold. Will try Borestane or Hare Hill next time. Was good to have a run out bivvying with the bike loaded before having a pop at the Capital Trail route.
    Cheers
    Fraser

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bivvy spots in the Pentlands?’ is closed to new replies.