Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • bivvy spot in the mendips
  • flatfish
    Free Member

does anybody have any good spots they could recommend?

i’ve used a spot at ST466569 before but wondered if there was any other anybody would like to share. Preferably with trees as i sometimes hammock it but not essential.

another thought i had was a stw bivvy night whereby a grid ref is given then anybody can turn up for a put faces to usernames(and a drink or two of course).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is that not rather too close to dogging?!
    😕

Actually, having looked at that GR, I’m surprised you’ve not been disturbed in the night by men with shotguns, being alarmingly close to the pheasant nursery.

MrAgreeable

That’s a great idea Flatfish – although I don’t think you’ll need to put a face to a name in my case. 🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

i didn’t say i was bringing the wife.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yes, that would be dogging.

I have bivvied once on Mendips, and picked up about 8 deer ticks in one night. Other thanthat it was fab. 🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

yeah we were just round the back of the nursery which wasn’t the quietest of nights, thats why i’m asking for suggestions really.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tricky. There’s a spooky ruin in Mendip Lodge Wood with a scary half-filled basement – Blair Witch-like.

Fancy that? 🙂

What about on Dolberrow Hill Fort?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

…with the ghosts of the ancients to keep you company…

flatfish
    Free Member

what about crook peak?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Crook Peak: Yeah would be fun but you’re out in the open. You could hang your hammock in Kings Wood at the A38 end.

Could try Burrington Ham (other side of Burrington Combe) too.

I sometimes see people camping in the grassy hollow next to Reid’s Cavern. This is marked on the OS between Rowberrow Wood and Mendip Lodge Wood. It’s yards from trails but surprisingly secluded once the bushes grow a bit.

I slept in Goatchurch Cavern once – it was horrid.

flatfish
    Free Member

Trees not essential as I’m happy to be a ground dweller.

Special_ized_Jamie

I would be up for a meet on the Mendips one evening over the summer. Would rather leave out the Ticks if possible tho!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

After work meet you mean? I’d like that if I’m free.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Burrington Ham is pretty quiet. Its also as open or as wooded as you want it to be. Pretty sheltered on the north facing side too. It benefits from having the Burrington Inn just a short Bridleway drop away. It’d be a fairly late breakfast though, since they open at 10.

The woods at the top of Blackrock might provide something too, or slightly further up, it opens out with views over Cheddar Gorge, for some pretty fine views.

flatfish
    Free Member

sounds like a plan forming.

noteeth
    Free Member

Any UBSS members on here? 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

UBSS??????

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

UBSS?

Underground Boat Secret Service?

flatfish
    Free Member

of course. how dumb am i?

noteeth
    Free Member

UBSS = University of Bristol Cavers – they have use of “The Hut” just up from Burrington.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

University of Bristol SPELEOLOGY SOCIETY – ahhhh!!

elliptic
    Free Member

Once found a guy camping on top of Burrington Ham while we were on a Thursday night ride. He was sat there staring morosely into the embers of his campfire in the dark when fifteen of us hammered past in random directions with full beam LEDs and HIDs… must have terrified the poor bloke 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“when fifteen of us hammered past in random directions with full beam LEDs and HIDs”

A bit like Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind then.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

fifteen riders on a Thursday night ride?

Its either the miners arms lot, team mad cow or The bike City crew.

Either way, it definitely involves aliens!

elliptic
    Free Member

The Miners crew 😀

That was the one night in five years the group’s accidentally split apart – everyone shot off in different directions over the Ham and we ended up with about four different splinter groups straggling back to the pub.

Good to see you again the other night at the rock BTW! (That was me with the hip flask if you’re wondering…)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There were two – Chris(?) and that big fella. Which one were you?
    8)

elliptic
    Free Member

I’m Chris. (Different login on the new forum).

flatfish
    Free Member

is there any intrest in a night out for the bank holiday weekend, say the night of the thirtieth???

flatfish
    Free Member

top of frys hill, say?

flatfish
    Free Member

anybody???

snowpaul
    Free Member

hello

I am often in the area riding – used to guide there many years ago ! I would seriously echo the tick warning up on rowborrow / blackdown area. I have had a few on me there ( that i found ) as has the trail hound ( lots ) and also my girlfriend…

I am now suffering CFS / ME and fighting the nhs re taking the possibility of me having lyme disease seriously. I would love a night ride there when i am fit again – not been on a bike in 2 mths!

Personally I wouldnt bivi there unless in a tent !!

paul

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘bivvy spot in the mendips’ is closed to new replies.