Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bivvy recipes.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Off for a 2 night bike bivvy. Rather than just take an assortment of convinence/expedition food this time, I thought I’d be a little more adventurous. I will have a Jet Boil at my disposal. Breakfast for both mornings shall be porridge oats,mixed fruit/nuts,teaspoon of sugar and some dehydrated milk. Lob in some boiling water,simmer,eat. For dinner I’m planning pasta with some smoked sausage through it and a small tub of homemade tomato sauce.
    What recipes have other people got?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Kelly kettle,

Coffee and toast.

bokonon
    Free Member

Noodles, cupasoup type things as sauce, tin of sardines.

Couscous, cupasoup type thing as sauce, not dried lentils

Or very similar tends to be my evening meal.

ciron
    Free Member

Pasta is pretty bulky to carry and takes a while to cook, so uses lots of fuel, but you might not be worried about that.

I use cous cous or noodles which much more efficient to prepare. Just get the Ainsley Harriot Cous Cous packs and then add smoked sausage to that. Or put a cup-a-soup in with the noodles and the sausage.

maccruiskeen

In the pulses / whole food bit of the supermarket there are a few quick-cook mixed grains packs that are a good substitute for pasta. They cook as quickly/easily as pasta and you can mix the same kinds of sauces with them but they you get more taste/texture and they’re more filling and slower burning, they’re also more compact to carry.

As a quick easy make on-the-spot sauce for pasta – drain the pasta then cook garlic and chilli flakes in some oil (that could be the oil that renders off your dried sausage if you heat than in the pan first) then add the pasta back in with the zest and juice of a lemon (maybe not the whole lemon if you’re cooking for one, unless you really like lemon.)

Although a bit more ready-mealy, in that same section there are a few folk doing boil-in-the bag ready-to-eat couscous, lentils and the like. Merchant Gormet were doing them first (the puy lentils with porcini are really lovely) but some Jamie Oliver ones have just come out and are only £1/pack in sainsburys at the moment. Nice light fresh flavours, quite north-african stuff like apricot, lemon and chilli, can be heated in the bag but I have them cold with salad too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Noodles and sauce!

dannybgoode

Road kill or hunt some rabbit?

matt_outandabout

banana’s in custard 8)
    Matt’s mad cheesecake (marscapone, pinch sugar, handfull of chopped fruit/choccy/tablet and a pile of smashed up digestives, put em in a ziploc bag and smoooosh, then eat) 8) 8)

Lots of cous cous stuff (Ainsley Hariots are great), some noodles stuff I take.

If weight isn’t an issue (canoeing), then what ever I eat at home, usually with some home baked bread / bannok / scones / pizza. 8) 8) 8)

Exhibit a:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nSWj2G]Outdoor Learning Scotland[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Exhibit b:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nCugxG]Outdoor Learning Scotland[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

I think somewhere there are some pics of me on Hellvellyn and Great Gable, both times with fresh French loaves strapped to the rucsac…

joshvegas
    Free Member

I will jettison anything from my bag until my food fits. Noodles and the like…. pffft butterbean stew ftw

IanMunro
    Free Member

Make sure you’ve gone phone reception, then phone up Dominos.

Stoner
    Free Member

A pack of spaghetti broken in half Is a very efficient way of carrying and then cooking carb

joshvegas
    Free Member

So appart from Matt does anyone actually cook or just reheat/eat pasta?

I cant get past the idea of trekking to the middle of nowhere then just eating stodge.

honeybadgerx

Ainsley Harriet risotto plus a diced pepper and chopped chorizo. If you go for instant noodles/cupasoup/etc. check they don;t have MSG in them!

Neil-F
    Free Member

Medium noodles and an OXO cube.
    Tin of Heinz beans n sausages.
    Scrambled eggs (ready made up in a bottle) and diced chorizo.
    Tin of haggis chucked on the fire, cooled for a minute or two, then open.

Cougar

check they don;t have MSG in them!

Or, eat what you like and ignore urban myth scare stories.

grantway
    Free Member

Many of you here into wild Camping then ?

honeybadgerx

check they don;t have MSG in them!
    Or, eat what you like and ignore urban myth scare stories.

It’s not the chemicals that bother me, it’s more the fact you end up ravenously hungry afterwards and have beggar all food left!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Also you drank all your water trying to get shot ofthe nasty taste!

AlasdairMc

My bivi dinner recently was half a chorizo, eaten while boiling water, then pouring water into an Ainsley Harriott couscous sachet, waiting for that to soak in, and using the rest of the pot of water for a hot chocolate. A thousand calories in about ten minutes.

seosamh77
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member

made some cracking steak sandwich’s once with salad and blasmic dressing etc, magic. Too much flaff though.

Camping food, for me, is generally simple and limited to pasta/noodles sauce and rolls and sausage and bacon for breaky and some fruit and stuff. Doesn’t really get more complex..unless i want to cook stuff in the house, freeze and reheat at camp generally food is utilitarian at best for me.

joshvegas
    Free Member

That certainly wasn’t meant to be a criticism just for me cooking great food is part of it, simple can be great I just find pasta/couscous/noodles boring in the house or outdoors.

joolsburger
    Free Member

How to Make Pemmican

looks disgusting!

matt_outandabout

Many of you here into wild Camping then ?

I hate it. Most of the time I seem to have a group in tow. And if they aren’t there, I have to take the kids. The weather is *always* crap. The places I go to are ‘so-so’ really. It’s barely worth the effort. 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/v2CYy]walesmay06002[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/4RyV2v]100_5275.JPG[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/cbuLTm]Ben Alder Bothy[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ihXqSN]DSCF0039[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dp9dUf]Canoe river Spey[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

d45yth
    Free Member

Most folk eat the food they do because they want it to be simple, light and/or packable. If you’ve the space or don’t mind carrying a load of weight, take whatever you want.

Remember that the more complicated you get, how hard will it be to make if the weather’s bad too. The last time I was out I just took cold food for my main evening meal…I was pleased I did when I didn’t camp til later than expected and it was blowing a gale. I just made a hot drink to go with it.

poltheball
    Free Member

+1 for Ainsley Harriet couscous and a mattesons sausage. Quick and easy, sausage is precooked, and the entire meal weighs 300g. Just boil some water and you’re away!

The first time I ever went wild camping it was with two mates, and we foolishly decided to take a tin each for breakfast and dinner, for a two night trip. Worked out at about 15 tins altogether iirc, definitely not a good plan! We’d previously agreed that they’d split the (relatively cheap & heavy) tent, and I’d carry the food. That was a few years ago now, my back’s still not recovered! 😆

Whisky miniatures help keep you warm in the evening, and hot chocolate gets you going again in the morning, jelly and soreen for snacks throughout the day. Fruit and nut mix can be handy as well.

maccruiskeen

That certainly wasn’t meant to be a criticism just for me cooking great food is part of it, simple can be great I just find pasta/couscous/noodles boring in the house or outdoors.

Presuming you’re self propelled (either on bike of foot) then you don’t want to carry more than a day or two of stuff with you – presuming you are travelling from spot to spot rather than setting up to camp somewhere for a while. So.. you can only buy what the nearest village shop to your route sells, thats also quick-cooking enough, light and compact enough and then try and do something tasty with. You can pretty much always find spaghetti, and pretty much alway find a tin of tomato puree, and the more poorly stocked the shop is, the more likely you’ll find a little tin of sardines. Anything else you find might taste nice but is either going to bruise, spoil or leak being carried in you bag all day

If you’re only out for a night then you can carry what you want from home and cooks something marvellous, but two or three weeks in to a trip then spagg with a tomato, pepperami and marmite sauce becomes a bit of a staple, if you are limited to foraging in british village post offices.

If you’re in france…. thats a different story.

ninfan
    Free Member

Some years ago when I used to do quite a bit of wild camping/bivvying I spent a day with a van driving around a certain large forest in Northumberland prepositioning little cache’s of food – tins of corned beef, beans & sausage, chicken curry, pilchards in tomato sauce etc. along with some staples like cans of coke, few tins of beer, rice pudding, stashed behind a few rocks in an old stone wall or sheepfold that I could route past on the way to my overnight

That one day out provided me with about three years worth of fantastic full tummies – well worth doing!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

FWIW, if you don’t mind ready meals then the Wayfayrer packet ones are pretty darned good & easy to reheat.
    I’ve used a couple when i hiked in the French Alps to break up the monotony of noodles/pasta, etc.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Off out next week for a 2 dayer somewhere in the Lakes. I shall be ordering one of these I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-24-Hour-Operational-Ration-Pack-ORP-Camping-Meals-Ready-To-Eat-2016-/261480293685?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item3ce170a535

Or if you prefer the posh camping equivalent.

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

To me, £12 for the day’s food seemed a little steep but then I guess it is ~3,000 calories with plenty of stuff in it… hmmm…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bivvy recipes.’ is closed to new replies.