Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bivvi bag or Hammock for autumn/winter camping
  • gazerath
    Free Member

Just wondered who favored what for winter camping.

Recon I would get away with a two season bag, fleece liner, thermals down jacket and a hat to sleep in to keep me warm?

druidh
    Free Member

Depends where you are camping 🙂

gazerath
    Free Member

idea is to ride on a mini tour stopping in forests to wild camp. Uk or North of France

pedalhead
    Free Member

I spent a night in a hammock at the weekend (I’m usually a bivy bag kind of chap) and it was proper cosy & warm. I’d say with a decent underquilt you could get away with a 2-season bag in a hammock if you wore decent warm stuff.

Not sure I’d want a 2-season bag in a bivy though. If you’re going the bivy route for winter, your choice of mat is also very important as you’ll lose a lot of heat if it doesn’t provide enough insulation.

matt_outandabout

UK highlands of Scotland in -10 or UK Welsh borders in -1?

I have been playing with an old Buffalo sleeping bag lately – that + fleece trousers and thermals was good down to -8 last winter(!). Add in my big jacket or a bivvi bag and it is a winner.

Are you carrying stuff in or car camping?

gazerath
    Free Member

Will will probably head to Welsh boarders. Carrying stuff on bikes.

Which Hammock would you recommend. I’ve a bivvi bag but never used it, considering selling and getting a hammock. Like the idea of been off the ground.

I’ve a 3/4 thermal roll mat that has served me well on past winter trips in a tent. Don’t think I can afford to get a nice winter bag just yet, perhaps at christmas time 🙂

eoghan
    Free Member

2-season bag and a 3/4 foam mat in winter? Not sure if that’s impressively hardcore or just suicidal

pedalhead
    Free Member

hmm well hammock & tarp etc will almost certainly be more bulky and heavier than bivy + tarp, which is an issue if you’re carrying them on the bike. Your thermals/down clothes may make the sleeping bag bearable, but I think you really do need to throw a bit of money at a decent warm mat, or spend less and carry a comparatively heavy/bulky one, particularly as I’m guessing you don’t have divine control over the elements & therefore it may get a lot colder than -1 on your tour of the Welsh borders. Depends how geek-lite you want to go, but something like a Neoair or Peak Elite, supplemented with a cut down roll mat might see you ok.

Btw, you can get a nice winter quilt from Enlightened (in the ‘States) for about £150 delivered. Mine’s rated down to -12c (you can get warmer ones) and whilst I’ve only had it a few weeks & used it down to around zero, I can certainly believe that rating.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve found my cheap hammock to be extremely cold in winter. You probably need a fancy hammock with underquilt and everything, they are pretty darned expensive (more than buying a winter sleeping bag) and not all that small.

I bivvied in Snowdonia at the start of October once, at pretty low level (not far up from Betws y Coed), it snowed on me, and was <0 degrees. I was pretty cold in my 2/3 season bivvy bag. I would be buying or borrowing a bigger sleeping bag for proper winter use.

nedrapier

DD Hammocks do a good one. £50 ish inc. postage, I think.

They have a double layer bottom, with velcro fastening, so you can sandwich your mat or underblanket in there. If you have a mat in the hammock with you it’ll be out from under you in no time as you move about.

You definitely need something underneath you, even with a full winter down bag, the insulation below you is compressed, and then you have barely anything between you and the wind.

They come with a mossie net top, too.

as said, hammocks less waterproof than a bivi, you’d need a tarp as well.

gazerath
    Free Member

Thanks guys, right hunting for a warm winter sleeping bag it is. I do have a massive heavy sleeping bag, which weighs nearly 3kg and it’s not practical on the bike.

I have also got a tarp, so i might tarp, bivvi and save spending money on a hammock till next year and spend the money on a decent bag instead.

Alp kit doa nice bag I keep looking at

40mpg

I did -10 last winter in a Alpkit SH600, Alpkit Airo 180 mat, Hunka bivi bag. Wore my (fairly thin) cycle tights, base layer and light fleece and was warm enough.

2012-02-11_08-08-24_335 by Newforce Photos, on Flickr

gazerath
    Free Member

Wow 40mpg you’ve convinced me going to give alp kit a ring now.

jimmers
    Free Member

I did a bivi not too far from 40mpg (about 5 metres) and had

– Alpkit PD400
    – Hunka bivy bag
    – Pacific Outdoor Uber mat (half length – I am a short arse).
    – Synthetic down jacket
    – Cycling kit (went to sleep in my riding clothes).

Started out a bit chilly, got out the bag and did some star jumps for a few minutes. Warmed up and then had a decent night’s sleep.

STATO
    Free Member

Choosing the right place to Bivi can make all the difference in a warm nights sleep.

Down the bottom of a valley, esp near a river = cold trap and freezing!

In some woods sheltered out of the wind (even a very gentle one) = warm and toasty.

Ive got an Alpkit SH800, that with Bivi bag and tarp is enough even if its snowing (no idea actual temps, dont have a thermometer) if your out the wind and not in a cold trap.

gazerath
    Free Member

just ordered a pip dream 400, going to be a toasty boy which is what I want. My bivi bag is an outdoor gear thing that was £190 but I saw it in a shop in lakes as it was super cheap and brought it. Impulsive thing a few years ago but I’m going to finally get to use it.

Right to the garage to pull out what I can sell to make some money back.

I’ll keep away from any lakes or rivers.

Thanks again.

Single track forums are ace.

STATO
    Free Member

also, Hammocks are great fun (have a Hennessey Hammock) but take a bit of getting used to, best to learn in the summer so you wont get hypothermia when you get it wrong.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bivvi bag or Hammock for autumn/winter camping’ is closed to new replies.