Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bivi-ed Transalp???
  • DavidM
    Free Member

An idea that is kreeping into my head for next summer. But before I get to excited, would a Bivi bag be enough or would I freeze to death? Is this a half reasnoble idea, or just plain stupid? Would staying in huts be that expensive really?

Jerome
    Free Member

Do you mean re-trace the transalp race route as many have done??
    If so then rather than huts would think staying in local towns would be best.
    Look for hostels en route.
    You could go expedition stylee but without a lot of kit would be boring in evening.
    J.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

bivi will be fine in summer, so long as your not right at the top of the hills… if one can bivi in the uk all year, no reason not to in the alps in summer imo

DavidM
    Free Member

I think it would be 'expedition style' as it were, just riding and kipping under the stars, with everything (ie. not much) in a rucksack is what I have in my head at the minute.

Ta Hungry Monkey, that is what I thought, this could be pretty good weather dependant now i think about it

ChrisE
    Free Member

It's much more enjoyable to stay where you drop, in huts etc. The riding is hard enough without worrying about being sleepless!

Have you got a route sorted?

C

DavidM
    Free Member

Was maybee thinking Garmisch – Lake Garda, but i had it in my head that taking a Bivy bag would leave a lot of options open. Heavy rucksack wouldn't be great on the climbs, or the some of the descents I suppose. Things is a lack of funds means it is the cheapest way or not at all.

ChrisE
    Free Member

We pay about £20-£30 a night for bed and a basic but filling meal. It is well worth it.

C

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Depending on the route there are quite a lot of huts about giving you fairly good options on when to stop.
    OEAV huts
    If you are a member of the Austrian or German alpine clubs (also includes good mountain insurance) then beds are normally half price – depending on who owns the hut etc. The cheapest beds are a "lage" (where it's just a massive mattress, but I never have any problems sleeping as I'm normally tired enough) costs about €7/8, and the meals cost normally around €10. Personally I would pay for the bed rather than having to carry a bivi bag etc. with me, but I get a sore back from carrying stuff on the longer climbs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bivi-ed Transalp???’ is closed to new replies.