Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • bivi – balloon beds
  • ninkynonk
    Free Member

not got much money spare but i need a bed for my bivi trips

balloon beds seem cheap but look a big faff

are they worth it even at £20 or is it false economy (can’t afford anything like a NeoAir)

cheers

ajf
    Free Member

great value for the weight. 100grams and packs the size of an apple.

Bit of a faff and not suitable for camping but for the odd night they are fine. Usually wake with one of them deflated but still warm and comfy and far better than foam mats.

Takes about 10 minutes whilst making a cup of tea to do but would advise a practise before you go out for first time with it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Can’t comment on balloon beds as have not used then. They look like more of an adventure race piece of equipment to me.

If money is tight just get a roll mat ~£5. Lightweight and durable. Blowup beds / self inflating e.t.c are nice for comfort but only while they last. Waking up back on the floor due to a slow puncture is no fun.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

What about the alpkit numo? Not too expensive, not too fragile?

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheap? Good insulation? Well padded? Lightweight?

Big roll of bubble-wrap (seriously. And no they don’t all go pop when you lay on them!)

I once did a mountain marathon where there was a bloke at the overnight camp showing off his titanium spork. Looked very nice and was very light. However, it cost £25 and was not quite as a light as the (free) disposable plastic spoon I had. Budget kit is ace!

slugwash
    Free Member

Balloon beds…

Pros:

*Ultra lightweight

*Compact

*Warm

*Well comfy (Moulds to your back)

Cons:

*Faff to inflate in wet or windy weather/small or crowded tent/the dark, etc

*Boring to have to inflate each night on longer trips

*You can’t risk using it as a campsite lounging around mat before tucking in for the night

*You can lose the odd balloon overnight if used outside your bivibag without a groundsheet, but….

*If you stuff it in your bivi bag then it rolls around with you and you can wake up in the night lying on your side on rough ground with the balloon bed still on your back.

HTH.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Would rather lie on the ground ( and regularly do) than use a balloon bed . Foil bubblewrap offcut ftw when on a budget !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘bivi – balloon beds’ is closed to new replies.