Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bi/varifocal contact lenses?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My eyes are crap, I have to wear my glegs all the time. Anyone use bi or varifocal contacts. I've trouble with both distance & close up & use vari-focal 'spectarcules'
    I'm due for an eye test so I may as well look into the idea. (pun intended)

Philby

I tried vari-focal contact lenses for a few days and found them really weird and difficult to focus on anything properly. Haven't used them since, and gone back to my normal lenses. For info I have been a contact lens wearer for over 20 years, and just didn't get on with vari-focal lenses. I have vari-focal glasses and bought some reading glasses to use with my contact lenses for reading – but only used these a couple of times.

Might be worth asking your optician if you can test a pair, which is what I did at Specsavers.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

try monovision, it's way cheaper! One lens is set for close to medium range, the other for medium to distance. You only notice the sharp image and depth perception works fine. When the opticiam first suggested it I thought it sounded mad but it dors really work! You just have to make sure the distance range of the 2 lenses overlaps so you don't have a dead zone where neither is sharp – which can happen at about 400mm ie ideal monitor distance 🙁 There's no head tilting or looking down…

Woody
    Free Member

I've used varifocals (30 day continuous wear type)for about 3 years now with no problems. I found them to be great immediately with no feeling of disorientation. I only realised how much difference they make when I had to use a pair of standard lenses for a day and could barely read a newspaper. With varifocals I can read the smallest print on labels !

I have also had SFB's suggestion recommended to me by others and it is definately worth a try due to cost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bi/varifocal contact lenses?’ is closed to new replies.