Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • biting toddler
  • NZCol

I have that child, the one that bites other kids (sometimes). Generally if they are annoying her but today to get someones attention !
    Not good, anyone been there and sage word of advice – she’s 3 , reasonably normal but this comes up in waves where she either gets frustrated or gets annoyed.

Cougar

Bite ’em back, that’ll learn ’em.

Give her something else to bite on?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Bitter bite spray.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Our eldest, just took time more than anything else and keeping your cool, the more you react the worse it gets. Implement punishment (naughty step, whatever) but remain totally deadpan and be firm but quiet when giving her the ‘talking to’.

Harry_the_Spider

My lad used to bite and pinch if he felt he was getting “hemmed in”. Putting him in his car seat required wearing a suit of armour.

He grew out of it.

jonm81

Ours was doing that at 12 months old when excited or frustrated. Another kid bit her at nursery and she realised how sore it was and it stopped almost immediately.

perchypanther
    Free Member

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Our middle daughter was terrible for biting between the ages of 1 and 3. It was so bad it got to the stage were would pick her up and ask who she had bitten, on one occasion the staff said “no she didn’t bite anyone today but she did stab a a member of staff with a pencil.” Eventually on suggestion from one of the nursery staff that we get her hearing checked, we discovered that she was almost completely deaf and in constant pain due to glue ear. After she had grommets fitted the biting stopped.

sandwicheater

Cone of shame?

Our friends have twins and one of them is a biter. Sadly, the only person she bites is her sister.
    The nursery they go to has an understandable policy. Should your child be hurt by another child, they don’t give names if an incident occurs so they get;
    Nursery: Erm, i’ll need you to sign this, child 1 has bitten a child.
    Nursery: Oh and while your here, can you sign this form, child 2 has been bitten by a child.
    Mum: Has child 1 bitten child 2?
    Nursery: We couldn’t say (with a smirk)
    Certain names have been changed to protect the children.

cbike
    Free Member

My nephew occasionally did it when excited – a few stern No’s without making too much fuss or even just ignoring it and it disappeared. It’s all just communication apparently. Just talk to them.

crankboy
    Free Member

crankbrat went through it ,for an incident at nursery we let them discipline but told him we knew and were not happy and tried to find out why and suggest an alternative in future, at home he would get held by the arms standing still for a count of his age in months and told that was wrong and asked to explain why it was wrong. Then given a kiss and its all over to end. He did learn to count at a fairly young age.

senorj

Cold hosepipe in the yard worked for us…
    Seriously, (ours mainly punched) – it was a phase , thankfully.
    Lot’s of “we do not bite/kick etc” & difficult as it may seem ,not rising to it.
    It totally stopped when He was bitten – I’m cruel apparently for telling him ,
    “there , see how you like it”.
    He still has a wicked left hand when he’s out of control .ha.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Round at a mates house when the elder child (maybe 3 years old?) took a fancy to his younger siblings leg while they were lying on the sofa.

Elder sibling received a vigorous, but involuntary, kick in the face.
    Black eye and blood everywhere.

Apparently the biting stopped.

donald
    Free Member

Another kid bit her at nursery and she realised how sore it was and it stopped almost immediately.

It totally stopped when He was bitten – I’m cruel apparently for telling him ,
    “there , see how you like it”.

Elder sibling received a vigorous, but involuntary, kick in the face.
    Black eye and blood everywhere.

Apparently the biting stopped.

I can’t stand parents who outsource corporal punishment. And use child labour to do it.

NZCol

Thanks all. We’ve talked to her about it and trying to not make it a ‘thing’. Will persevere.

djglover
    Free Member

One of our twins was a biter, has grown out of it now, still more likley to play up and with a more firey temper than her twin sister though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Potential football career beckoning..

Stevet1
    Free Member

The nursery they go to has an understandable policy. Should your child be hurt by another child, they don’t give names

And what – mindwipe the child? Whenever ours have had an incident the first thing they says is xxx pushed me I’m not his /her friend anymore.

P-Jay
    Free Member

May daughter went through a spate of it when she was about 18 months, nothing else to do but tell her off whenever she did it sternly enough that she cried. I really hate that, but it associated her biting with being unhappy and she stopped.

3 is harder because communication is much better but you have to explain why it’s wrong and it’s harder to build that association with being unhappy.

ourmaninthenorth

The story goes by brother in law used to do it when a small child.

Until one day he bit his mother so hard he drew considerable blood. His father then bit him similarly hard in return. No more biting after that.

Maybe not so much an option in the, er, modern era but effective..!

wilko1999
    Free Member

You bitter?

Yep, bit him too

Both of ours have gone through this stage at different ages. Our daughter was 4.5 and at school which was mortifying having to go and see her teacher about it. Anyway it passed. No doubt the twinkle in my wife’s eye that is our third child will go through it too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘biting toddler’ is closed to new replies.