Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bit random – can anyone use reclaimed doors?
  • bearnecessities

I have in my possession now about 6 doors from the early 1900s, internal 6 panel jobs.

They are lovely, stupidly heavy and painted with crap (or ply boarded over) but I have decided against keeping myself and have replaced with new.

I’d love to think someone would come along and give me a few hundred quid to take them off my hands, but more realistically they’ll end up in landfill unless anyone could suggest who coulld benefit from them? (for free, or beer)

Just seems a waste of some lovely wood.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any local reclamation yards? Might give you a few quid for them.

project
    Free Member

sell for about 80 quid each at a reclaim annd recycling yard.

sandwicheater

What they said ^

We were lucky as friends had just decided the same and fave there doors.

bearnecessities

That was a thought, but would rather give them away to someone that could benefit, if that’s possible.

Plus I can’t be doing with some sucking-of-teeth “they’re not really worth that much mate” having dragged them to the reclamation yard, them full well knowing I’m not going to drag them back again!

EDIT: Wait, how much?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I couldn’t see you getting £80 for them…but yeah, I know what you mean, some fecker chewing his cheek, trying to fleece you for them…

Gumtree then…?

project
    Free Member

The reclaim yard blokes will come to you,old doors are inshort supply, remove the boarding and take some pics and email local yards, check their prices first for sale prices .

Mowgli
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? I recently used one to good purpose – broke it apart and used the panels. Can you tell if they’re solid wood under the ply? Presumably if 1900s.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now hang on, wasn’t one of them at a very funny angle? 😀

bearnecessities

I’ve removed the ply from 2 of them (it gets a bit tedious removing 300 tack pins from each side of a door)…and they are a VERY solid wood underneath. It’s a real shame, I’ve tried to keep as many original featured as possible in this house…..if there was less work to do on the house, I’d have committed the time to get these sorted. However, priorities and all that. They’re now taking up much needed space though.

Home is W.Yorks.

..and yes DD, one of them is is seriously pissed 🙂

The rest though, are ok, albeit planed at funny angles on occasion.

project
    Free Member

any pictures

midlifecrashes

Or more importantly, dimensions?

I have a couple at home that have bad twists and shakes. Ours had been boarded over too, with any proud mouldings hacked off beforehand. Any usable rim locks on them?

bearnecessities

Hang on, I’ll take a pic of one that’s in the dungeon living room.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Cool, very interested and W Yorks is fine for me (in Sheffield). Could you send any pics please? Email in profile.

bearnecessities

You’re making me think that “for beer” should be escalated to “for malt” 😀

This is the door for living room. I have 5 others but one is very warped (about an inch or so out from top to bottom)

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I’d love to have some solid old doors – unfortunately I live in a 1960’s house where the walls are made of eggshells and the weight would probably pull the walls down :/

dungeonliving room – are you going for the Christian grey type of interior design 😯

maccruiskeen

The dungeon aesthetic is certainly enhanced by the pitchfork motif 🙂

They’re quite distinctive doors and if theres a lot of similar era houses in the neighbourhood then people might be looking for matching replacements for their own renovations. Its worth a punt sticking them on ebay/gumtree in the first instance. You probably wouldn’t get as much as reclamation yard would sell them for, but theres a fair chance that you’d get more than they’d buy them for

bearnecessities

Wench, I had a chugger knock on my door the other night (8pm!). I let him in because he seemed a nice chap, it was horrible weather and I gave in. Apologising for the state of the room, he looked around and he genuinely said “Yeah, I like the rustic look”.

I think he really meant it too 🙂

Edit: Thanks G, my road is full of very random houses though, none are the same or built in the same era.

petrieboy

Have to say, replacing heavy original doors with cheap knotty pine is something I think you’ll come to regret.

Have you considered getting them dipped and stripped?

maccruiskeen

“Yeah, I like the rustic look”

were those his last words?

bruneep

he speaks sense ^

how long do you reckon those new doors will last?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve recently spent a princely sum on all matchimg stripped reclaimed pine doors, I’ve paid anywhere from between £50 and £125, it was a bit of a nightmare, but i managed it. my doorways were all crazy odd sizes tho. If you don’t shift them there’s a place at eastburn (nr Skipton) who would take them I expect, not sure you’d get much for them tho

bearnecessities

Have to say, replacing heavy original doors with cheap knotty pine is something I think you’ll come to regret.

I genuinely respect your opinion, and you may be right.

However if you were in my shoes, with this house and the challenges of renovating it presents, you would understand why going through the ordeal of keeping the original doors isn’t worth it.

You may not though. Which in that case, you’d be certifiably mental. 🙂

fasthaggis

The reclaim yard blokes will come to you,old doors are inshort supply, remove the boarding and take some pics and email local yards, check their prices first for sale prices .

This^^

You will have no problem getting rid of them.

maccruiskeen

indeed – choose your battles.

renovating a house and living in it – thats enough fun. Theres always going to be more than you signed up for.

Friend of mine started a renovation with a plan to strip the wallpaper and maybe replaster and bit of rewiring. 4 months later he had 4 walls. Thats it. No roof, no floors, no doors or windows, no internal walls. He can laugh about it now, but he also sort of wishes he’d knocked the last 4 walls down too 🙂

Mowgli
    Free Member

Looks nice – but not for me I’m afraid. I was after some tongue and groove timber to make wooden chests out of. I think your doors would be most useful in door form.

bruneep

Getting the doors dipped n stripped is painless.

bearnecessities

choose your battles.

Quite. *takes pic from where is sitting*

fasthaggis

Getting the doors dipped n stripped is painless.

..as long as they don’t shrink,always use a stripper with a good reputation 😉

midlifecrashes

They’re quite nice really, in a 20s and 30s kind of way. Nice iron or Bakelite handle would work well on them. But not for me, mine are all Victorian style. I don’t blame you for swapping them, each of mine took days of effort, stripping, filling, gluing, sourcing locks to fit obselete cutouts. There are times in a renovation you just need to move on and have something finished.

maccruiskeen

*takes pic from where is sitting*

I build sets like that for horror films!

(I had to rent that door!)

ontor
    Free Member

where are you in case you decide to get rid…

jools182
    Free Member

My brother may be interested in exchange for beer or malt money

Legoman
    Free Member

Stick em on ebay. I’ve bought & sold quite a few 1930s doors on there, there’s a market for period stuff. As long as they aren’t weird sizes they’ll sell.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bit random – can anyone use reclaimed doors?’ is closed to new replies.