Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bit of rear shock advice please
  • rockitman

Didn’t ride much last year for one reason or another but I’m now back on the bike. Bike in question is a 2008 Yeti 575. Love it to bits & in great nick although it’s moving parts are going to need some attention over the next few months as not been serviced in a while.

Questions regarding rear shock – It’s had the same Fox RP23 on it since new. It’s been to TF Tuned a couple of times for service and has been pushed for me – I’m a big guy 6′ 6″ & 240lbs. It needs servicing again which will likely be £100ish. Had a look on CRC & they have 2012 RP23’s in correct size for £179.

2 questions:

Having done 4/5 years hard labour would you get a new one or would you just get it serviced?

Am I correct in thinking “Low Volume” is the correct type for a big guy?

Can’t remember if having it pushed made a big difference or not, obviously a new one wouldn’t be. Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

RM

messiah
    Free Member

New isn’t necessarily betterer. I’ve found tuning to make a big difference so I’d stick with your tuned one if your happy with it. If it needs anything extra done whoever services it will let you know.

rockitman

Yeah, it seems fine. Just didn’t know if it got completely knackered over time of if fine if serviced.

Thanks

Konastoner
    Free Member

Your shock only needs a full service if the rebound, compression or propedal is starting to fail. If all of these function as designed then an air can service will be sufficient.

As your shock been tuned for your weight / riding style it will far out perform the stock shock so you’d actually be taking a step back in performance.

Low volume vs high volume choice is mainly influenced by Suspension design and riding style, nothing really to do with size of the rider.

rockitman

Cheers Konastoner, much appreciated

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bit of rear shock advice please’ is closed to new replies.