Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • bit of an odd question here tech help!
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Hi guys, bit of a strange one but hope you can answer… was out riding today until i did a tabletop and landed a little sideways on the back end, it burped my tyre (tubeless) so thought ah its ok ill jump pump it back up, once i did the tyre was really wobbly! i thought ive buckled my rim here so i took the tyre off completely and put the bare rim back onto by bike to check trueness and finding out its still 100% true? only to which i put my tyre back on with a tube in as i lost all sealant to find its wobbly again? not as much but still looks untrue with tyre on?? any ideas? is it possible to stretch or miss shape a tyre? answers please 🙂 what can i do ? this has never happened to me before thanks!

enfht
    Free Member

Tyre lip and rim lip not fully engaged ?

Re-do and use a soapy brush to help the tyre lip seat correctly.

nonk
    Free Member

The tyre is probably not seated correctly mate
    Whack a bit more pressure in it and it should go whack as it pops up onto the bead

Suggsey
    Free Member

Unless it’s a Continental tyre…they can deform the carcass permanently!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

its currently got a tube in when you say put more psi in would i have to remove tube and put more sealant in or put more psi in the tube to stretch it out a bit?

chipster

A couple of years ago, weren’t Continental tyres deforming at the sniff of a bad landing?
    OP, is it a Conti, perchance?

Edit: Beaten to it.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

this is a highroller 2 ust im using 27.5

Suggsey
    Free Member

Check the bead real carefully inside and out you may have ripped it enough to cause an issue before you try banging in 50psi to seat it again!

slackalice
    Free Member

You’ve deformed the tyre IME. As Suggsey said, Continentals were particularly prone to this, although I’ve not come across a Maxxis tyre going out of shape before.

It’s unlikely it’ll straighten itself out, but it may do over time and a bit of warmth to help it.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ive just put tyre back on without a tube and its wobbly again even though the rim is 100% fine but i noticed part of the bead was softer than the rest what u rekon leave it as it is or new tyre? its rideable its not totally wobbly but u can see its not straight like it should be

singlespeedstu

I did the same thing to a Minion last year.
    Down some steps with a sharp turn at the bottom.
    Front tyre burped and spaffed stans everywhere.
    Re inflated and it had a big wobble in it.
    Looked closer at the tyre after i’d removed it and it felt/ looked like some of the threads in the sidewall had torn.
    I replaced it and left it in Spain…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I did it when I burped an Advantage last year fudgeding a landing at speed off a drop off.

Couldn’t get it to seat so popped a tube in. Set it back up tubeless at home, was still wobbly so left it stood in the kitchen with 60psi in before it went pop.

The rim was at one end of the kitchen, the tyre at the other end. The mess 2oz of Stans can make is quite impressive. Binned it in the end as I couldn’t trust it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Oddly enough, Tony Doyle had a couple of maxxis tyres go misshapen on him recently. It’s not only conti that do it.

cakefacesmallblock

Had a Shwalbe racing Ralph deform following a burp last year. Tyre was about a fortnight old, had been fine on a new rim for about 20 miles. Utterly bloody useless after.

carlos
    Free Member

Had a Spesh Purg do this to me at CYB. Couldn’t get the wobble out after deflating and re inflating (whilst checking the bead was on right) so bought and fitted a new tyre from the shop. Rim was still straight and a new tyre fixed the wobble issue.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has anyone deformed a tyre like this while running tubes or is it just a tubeless issue?

carlos
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Has anyone deformed a tyre like this while running tubes or is it just a tubeless issue?

Yes, but it was a Conti MK and a long time ago. And iirc, it was right after a 3ft drop to flat

core

I burped a purg control 2 or 3 times, and it’s been wobbly ever since, I even had lbs check wheel (as they supplied and are pretty new). Luckily it’s bearable, and does seem to have improved a little over time.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Ok thanks guys ill put it back on and see how i get on with it thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon it’s largely a tubeless phenomenon – you’ve got a huge amount of pressure holding the bead against the rim, huge side loading required to burp it, which will often destroy the structure of the tyre. Tubes don’t have the same forces acting on the bead, it can move away from the rim more readily in the event of a big side loading.

Andy-R

njee20 – Member
    I reckon it’s largely a tubeless phenomenon – Tubes don’t have the same forces acting on the bead, it can move away from the rim more readily in the event of a big side loading.

Same forces surely? – if you have 30psi in a tubed tyre or 30psi in a tubeless tyre then that thirty pounds per square inch is still acting on exactly the same places.
    The only difference is that in one case the air is in contact with the tyre and in the other they’re separated by the thickness of a tube.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

just put my back wheel back on with stans sealant in bloody hell its hardwork lol i had my track pump took ages for the bead to press into the rim but finally got it on and all sealed, slight wobble stil but ill have to make do! hopefully after a few rides it might center up! i had the girlfriend holding onto the tyre as i pumped it up with the kids going riot at the same time lol was like blody ww2! least its done! thanks peeps! fingers crossed i dont get another flat! lol thanks for the tips guys!

jameso

is it possible to stretch or miss shape a tyre?

Yes, the aramid bead can be pulled out of line in the bead in one area so that the casing gets distorted in that area. Hard to do, but seen it before. Basically the aramid/kevlar/wire won’t stretch but the rubber can, so occasionally something slips and causes a casing wobble. Pulling along/at the bead area can show a bit of give, hard to describe how exactly but it may help re-align it or it may get worse.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘bit of an odd question here tech help!’ is closed to new replies.