Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Bit of an accident.. Any advice?
  • mattyfez

Pretty angry no injury as id litteraly walked the bike off a train and rotated the pedals about 3 times and my mech hangar sheared in half.

This was a replacement from Halfords.. They couldn’t sorce the standard £7 hangar, or lost the order or whatever so they gave me a free upgrade and ordered me in a bespoke one that should have been £20. Great.

Fast forward a few months to this afternoon, im getting off the train, get on the bike and clunk!

The damage is:

Hangar snapped in half
    About 4 spokes snapped when the mech fell into them so the wheel needs to be rebuilt on all new spokes as far as I’m concerned
    The mech is trashed
    The chain is warped and trashed
    The rear gear cable and housing is trashed

Rant over.. Need to calm down before I go to Halfords tomorrow and tear them a new one.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Doubt there is much they will do. Mechs / chains can get tangled at any point and a badly timed pedal stroke can literally rip a mech clean off. I watched a mate do it a few weeks ago after a rocky descent. The chain had got caught without him knowing and first pedal stroke ripped the mech off at the hangar.

Shit happens but nobody is to blame.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ve got it the wrong way round.
    The hanger did’nt break,causing the damage.
    The hanger was broken as a result of the damage caused more than likely by the mech hitting the spokes because of said hanger being bent whilst being stored on the train.
    Yep it’s a pisser…but not BETD or Halfords fault.

mintimperial

Need to calm down before I go to Halfords tomorrow and tear them a new one.

Yep, you definitely need to calm down. Leave the poor Halfords fellas alone. They’ve done nothing wrong, you’ve just been unfortunate.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    garage-dweller

Could have been either way round in theory but my money is with rorscharch. Snapped hanger more likely a by product of train induced damage.

scotroutes

Wot they said

geoffj

Need to calm down before I go to Halfords tomorrow and tear them a new one.

For what exactly?

honourablegeorge

Count yourself lucky. There’s a bloke with a similar issue on another thread, and he lost FIVE spokes

andysredmini
    Free Member

What a coincidence. Someone else has a similar problem on the same day!!!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/done-some-damage-to-the-bike-options
    He sounds angry too.

br
    Free Member

Fast forward a few months to this afternoon, im getting off the train, get on the bike and clunk!

The damage is:

Hangar snapped in half
    About 4 spokes snapped when the mech fell into them so the wheel needs to be rebuilt on all new spokes as far as I’m concerned
    The mech is trashed
    The chain is warped and trashed
    The rear gear cable and housing is trashed

Yer, right… Just riding/walking along 😕

Rorschach
    Free Member

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

but not BETD or Halfords fault.

Yup suck it up buttercup.

If it has been fine for the last few months and now the mech has decided to have a meeting with he spokes then the chances are the derailleur has taken a knock or something has put to much force on it.

Rant over.. Need to calm down before I go to Halfords tomorrow and tear them a new one.

Did a Halfords employee give the bike a good kicking while you were on the train.?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Probably. It’s how they get most of their business.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

somafunk

I posted on your other thread btw but I fail to see how you could possibly have any justification for threatening to tear them a new one , I expect halfords response will not meet your expectations.

I suppose the hanger breakage could be down to a multiude of possibilities such as chain bounce down the cassette whilst on the train or just being damn unlucky/mechanically unsympathetic.

onehundredthidiot

Nope stay angry absolutely they’re fault.

(can we run a book on how long he stays in the store before someone in a uniform ushers him out?)

somafunk

This thread could be a grower….

matt_outandabout

Rorschach
    Free Member

Misread ‘grower’ as something else….

1-shed
    Free Member

Hasn’t it done it’s job perfectly? Stronger mech hanger = much more damage?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Misread ‘grower’ as something else….

Growler?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

mintimperial

zbonty

Errrr

mattyfez

Thanks for the opinions..

I was under the impression hangars were supposed to bend rather than shear off.

It literally occurred at about 3 mph when I got off a train.. I’m not an enduro red bull suicide rider by any means.. That’s why I’m a bit miffed… I do bridal ways and country single track.

I was seathing earlier buy I’m a bit calmer now.. Any more opinions appreciated.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Are all those little lines from last time you bent it back straight? That’s how mine looks after a trailside yank back inline…

Edit- as for options, most of my Deore kit is as a result of replacing stuff I broke. Cheap and it works. Probably go for the cheapest hanger though, well, I do go for the cheapest in the hope that it will break instead of anything else.

bencooper
    Free Member

Any more opinions appreciated.

Yes – Halfords and BETD aren’t at fault, the mech probably got knocked on the train and jammed in the wheel.

mattyfez

The circular /cyrical tooth marks on the hangar are from where the QR camps on.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

@mattyfez no, the little fractures in the black coating around the outside where the QR doesn’t clamp.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

User error. You didnt do that damage ar 3mph after 3 pedal strokes.

TimothyD
    Free Member

It probably is possible to do that kind of damage after 3 pedal strokes while setting off, once the wheel is starting to spin there’s enough leverage to pull off a mech and break the hanger, with the lever being the length of the spoke/radius of the wheel I guess.

mattyfez

That’s exactly how it happened, there was some force on the cranks as I was setting off from a standing start pretty much..

But not massively so and I’m no Olympian either… I’m of the mind that this is poor quality hardware.

matt_outandabout

I’m of the mind that this is poor quality hardware.

Two months ago you were unsure of how to solve a simple drivetrain issue, which was compounded by worn out parts.
    On the basis of this, and your two conflicting statements tonight about what happened, has led me to suspect you may not be the most experienced of cycle mechanics.
    I am of the mind it is just one of those things, caused by your mech hitting the spokes or damage sustained from a prior incident.

mattyfez

Allow me to re frame the question then;

Should a mech hangar bend or snap?

mattyfez

Also, anyone know any good wheel builders in west yorks.. think I need one!

matt_outandabout

To answer your question : to save the frame it may ben OR snap, but it saves your frame. Perhaps not mech or spokes. The three times I have done it in 22 years of biking it has always bent the mech, twice taken out spokes and bent once.

mattyfez

That’s the thing.. I’m wondering why it failed in the way it did and when it did.. it’s not as if it was redbull rampage, I was cycling off from a train station.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why, because something didn’t move how it expected. If the mech was pushed over or bent onto the wheel the it will commit suicide to save your frame. For reference I don’t think anyone snapped a hanger at rampage this year.

These things just happen

crazy-legs

Earlier this year I witnessed a woman annihilate most of her drivetrain in 2 pedal revs when she pulled away from a junction in top gear and tried to downshift. It took me 10 minutes to split and untangle the chain it was so wrapped round everything. It had bent some of the teeth on the chainring, the mech had got dragged right up round the cassette.

That was two pedal revs at about 1mph on a road bike. You don’t need to be some sort of Josh Bender character to break things you know.

Sounds like either the mech or shifters got knocked while on the train, you’ve tried to pedal off and the bike has tried to change gear. Really not the fault of Halfords or BETD.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Bit of an accident.. Any advice?’ is closed to new replies.