• This topic has 69 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • bit of a Mumsnet question – would this get you fuming?
  • dogbert
    Free Member

If someone sent you a christmas card, a cousin for instance and got your childs name wrong? Not massivley wrong, not Steven but their name is Angela, just Angie when it’s Annie?

Would you then take on the properties of Semtex and go off on one?

druidh
    Free Member

No

Mantastic
    Free Member

No

nuke

No…probably laugh and roll eyes.

legend
    Free Member

yes*
    *I am the 1%

Kbrembo
    Free Member

No way…

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes*
    Just to provide balance I would not execute them in front of their families.

highclimber
    Free Member

Just to provide balance I would not execute them in front of their families.

I would 😈

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

No more than if someone posted in the wrong section of the forum… 😉

Mods please…

LoCo
    Free Member

I’d be straight round with the bombers having memorised where they kept their shoes to tinkle in one my way out 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

I would

*fires off letter to the BBC*

Taff
    Free Member

I would be annoyed for a short while but only because I get annoyed by people who mispell my name especially if we’ve known them for a while.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Similar happened to a friend of mine.

Her name – Leila
    Name in card from boyf’s Aunt – Lala

(Not Leila)

GW
    Free Member

my 9yr olds gran has never got her name right on a Christmas card.. TBH it’s quite exciting opening it in anticipation to find out what it’ll be each year!

Couldn’t really GAF what any of my cousins kids are called.

Garry_Lager

A familiar dilemma – do you take a stab at it and write the kids names you think are probably right, or be a shithouse and write to Mark, Karen and family?

If you’re going to go for the glory I think you have to get it right – expect frostiness in response to wrong names, and rage if you totally get the sex wrong.

razor1548
    Free Member

Hopefully, I would realise that the world doesn’t revolve around my child despite my unhealthy obsession with it.

alfabus
    Free Member

Just send them a card back and get all of their names wrong.

Bonus points for completely abstract names that are nothing like their real names.

Dave

iDave
    Free Member

I wish my life was perfect enough to give a shit about trivial bollox like this…

nealglover
    Free Member

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do the “and family” as I am often not sure about friends kids names

noteeth
    Free Member

I’d change the child’s name by deed-poll.

djglover
    Free Member

I wouldn’t send a cousin & family a Xmas card in the first place

Jamie
    Free Member

I wish my life was perfect enough to give a shit about trivial bollox like this…

*wonders if panda lovers count as trivial*

Duggan

I would tell myself to stop being so precious- I’m sure they meant well and it’s nice that they thought to send you a card.

They may even know your kids name but absently wrote the wrong one, just a typo. I’m sure there are plenty of other kids and families they write to and your kids aren’t the only ones.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

This. ‘and family’ is always the safest option for offspring (note to OP’s cousin).

donsimon
    Free Member

dagbert, is it really a big deal?

druidh
    Free Member

C’mon guys – you know we’re about to get the “it wasn’t me it was my wife” variation…

sugdenr
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be happy, in that christmas spirity sort of way, that they actually sent you a card?

My cousins never bother, and my Dad always calls me my brothers name.

Now you mention it, where did I put my Uzi 9mmm….

Northwind

No- your kids are less fascinating to everyone else than they are to you. My cousin has a kid, reasonably sure it’s a boy, haven’t the slightest idea what it’s called. Not that I’m going to send her a christmas card anyway, because I’m a c***.

maccruiskeen

I’d change the child’s name by deed-poll.

exactly – take the hint, you got you’re own child’s name wrong your cousin is gently trying to encourage you to put things right before its too late

A friend of mine started a new job with a council. On her first day she was handed her I.D. badge, business cards, email address etc all with a different name on. Not a bit different, a lot different – Claire instead of Marie. They’d even sent out press releases with this new name on and she was in a front line role so it was in the local papers too. So….. she’s Claire now, even after 10 years or so, several changes of job, and a change of continent, she’s still Claire.

my Dad always calls me my brothers name.

My mum does that, or sometimes its the dogs name, or sometimes its the name a previous long-dead old dog, sometimes all three in rapid fire reverse order til she finally gets to my name on the forth attempt

timc
    Free Member

id just return to sender

shaxi
    Free Member

me too ! 😀

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

It’s a cousin, not like it’s a grandparent or something 😯

Many years ago a guest at my wedding called addressed me as Craig (not my name)thoughout the day, never had the heart to correct him

hels
    Free Member

I am in DEEP trouble if people I know get offended this easily.

I can usually remember that people have kids, as they never go out any more. As for the number, variety and labels, are you kidding ??

I might just be able to remember to brake if they ran out in front of me in the car, but thats about it.

hooja
    Free Member

Really, this made you so mad that you felt the need to post it in the bike section of a bike forum, really.
    does this kind of thing really make people angry enough to share their pain with the world?
    Relaaaaaaaaax

Harry_the_Spider

I have no idea what my cousin’s are kids are called or how many they have for that matter.

moniex
    Free Member

My kids are Rik and Stefan and I don’t think we get many Christmas cards from the uk that get it right, most from the Netherlands are ok…..

We mostly get rick and Stephan from uk friends….

Doesn’t bother me really. One friend did have some cutlery engraved for my boys when they were tiny and got both names wrong, bless.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I think bombers and weeing in shoes is a bit strong, it’s not like they cracked on to your wife. May I suggest that a strongly worded text message would be the way to go… 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Give children easy to remember name like Frank Zappa, did I mean you’re not going to forget Moon Unit or Dweezil are you ?!

thomthumb
    Free Member

my name is thom. i normally get tom – this doesn’t bother me.

once knew a (very well spoken & southern) women who had sent Christmas & birthday cards every year to her (northern family) niece, Ellen, after 11 years she go a phone call.

“her name is ‘Ellen. h-e-l-e-n!!” 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘bit of a Mumsnet question – would this get you fuming?’ is closed to new replies.