Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Bit of a bombshell!!
  • pingu66
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl any chance of a ride in a tank if your son gets posted to Salisbury Plain? It’s an amazing place and I sometimes ride my bike there, when the red flags aren’t flying obviously!

Made me chuckle! :lol:but bunreep beat me to it.

lifer Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH you are truly a b3ll 3nd of biblical proportions! Incredible.

Ton he will be fine, several friends of mine have their sons and daughters in and although its a worry they have all returned home safe and sound despite some scary moments. A couple have just left and walked straight into jobs. Others are still in out in Afgan and other areas but they all without exception absolutely love it.

He will grow up really fast but if its what he wants to do support him.

On a lighter note just be prepared for huge bar bills when he gets home on leave. Some of my mates kids I am sure the only thing its taught them is to drink!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Good on your lad Ton. Hats off to all our forces & anyone who chooses to join up in these times of unrest all over the world.
    I’m no warmonger but I can’t be arsed with the pacifistic outlook of some (well, one) on here.
    What do you really suggest Lifer? Do away with the armed forces? What?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Whilst many will have positive experiences from serving in the forces, there are many who do not, and its only right to highlight this for the sake of objectivity. how many ex forces are in prison, on the streets or in treatment programmes ?

There is still stigma attached to PTSD– i have two friends who both served in bosnia — a while ago now –but who are struggling with their mental health.

These issues are not ones the military like to highlight, but nevertheless are much more common than many like to acknowledge.

noteeth
    Free Member

Good luck to him.

argoose
    Free Member

He can get out any time he likes. It’s called PVR (Premature Volentry Release)
    See the pay office get them to check how much it will cost him, same as buying out of a contract.
    Never is a life sentence.
    Social life is amazing.
    Basic training is harsh, but it is designed to be. There is sense in the madness, tell him never to volenteer for anything, he’ll love it.

trailmonkey

it’s sad that we’re in a place where people’s options are so limited, joining the british army becomes a viable solution.

beaker

I’m ex RAF and don’t regret one second of my service. The trade I joined up has given me a career that is easily transferable to civvie street as well. I had a cracking time, both working hard and playing hard. If he hasn’t already get your lad to have a look at the other branches of the military if he hasn’t already, the other services have plenty to offer as well. Good luck to your son.

Lifer
    Free Member

pingu66 – Member

“lifer Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe”

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH you are truly a b3ll 3nd of biblical proportions! Incredible.

If you’re going to insult me (rather bashfully btw) at least have an argument to go along with it.

user-removed
    Free Member

firestarter – Member
    I hope he’s not as big as you Tony tanks are small

I must admit, that was my first thought on reading the OP too 🙂

If he’s set on it, there’s not much you can do, other than steer him into the right course as many have said. At 21, we’re not really thinking about very much over and beyond our immediate situation and future.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

To be honest if I had a son and he wanted to join the army I’d be happier that he was joining the Tank Regiment – not many safer places on a battle field than inside 60 odd tons of tank…

bigbloke
    Free Member

Good on him for joining, second the tech trade choice though even after 22 yrs he will only be 43 so another 23 years of civvie work ahead after that so best to equip with a skillset for work my opinion RSIGS/REME/RE better options but each to their own.

My work oppo’s son has just started in the Rifles basic training with his other son also going in January to join him…..double worry. They were well equipped mentally as to their choice as their father is ex bootie and respected their decision.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Good for him. Be proud.

I have met a few people who came out of the forces screwed up, prison and mental health issues etc, but I suspect they were like that when they went in.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

1. “lifer Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe”

Your statement implicates that everyone either volunteering or being conscripted into an armed service is partially guilty of the waste and stupidity of war, do you have a similar statement that describes the role politicians play?

Lifer
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member
    1. “lifer Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe”

Your statement implicates that everyone either volunteering or being conscripted into an armed service is partially guilty of the waste and stupidity of war, do you have a similar statement that describes the role politicians play?

It’s pretty obvious isn’t it? But here you are:

“Every politician that votes for war is responisible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe”

hillsplease

Good luck to your lad Ton. Being 21 he’ll hopefully cope with the oddities and unpleasantness of basic training better than most, but it’s meant to be horrid, if occasionally comedic.

I couldn’t agree less with Lifer. Having taken the Queen’s shilling, but had none of the excitement of many on here, standing Armies actually serve a purpose and in most cases over the last 50 years my assertion is that the objectives have been positive.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Bit of a bombshell!!’ is closed to new replies.