Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Bit of a bombshell!!
  • ton

my son has decide to sign up for the army. been working with me since leaving school, now 21.
    he told us he was thinking about it a week or so ago. went to army careers place last week, and went for a interview and test today.
    i am a bit shocked to be honest.

TPTcruiser

Good luck to him. Any idea what he is signed up for?
    My brother was in the Army for five years, it gave him a trade and structure where education had failed him.
    The draw back from Afghan territories removes some degree of worry I would have had.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Is there a cooling off period ?

Does he have the option of changing his mind?

wrecker
    Free Member

Good lad. He’ll suddenly grow up quick. You watch and see the change in him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good luck to him! What’s he going in to?

ton

looks like the tank regiment.

yossarian
    Free Member

What are his reasons for wanting to join Ton?

ton

i think he just see’s this job as a bit of a dead end thing. he is correct to be honest.
    ok for someone waiting for god like me, but not for a young bloke.
    he is a good lad, pretty well disciplined, so hopefully he will be ok.

druidh
    Free Member

Is he allowed to bring work home with him?

Lifer
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member
    Is there a cooling off period ?

Does he have the option of changing his mind?

+1

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I would not want any of mine to join the armed forces tbh, would be a worry all time they are ‘away’– and never have they been more active !

ton

not sure about the cooling off period, but like the very unhappy wife said, he is 21 and it is his choice.
    he seems to have his mind set on it now.

falkirk-mark

You can be very proud of him but I would not like it to be my lad TBH.

ton

i do want him to go in to be honest.

footflaps

For some people it will a great opportunity and career. I’ve worked with a few ex-forces people and they’re great in the field and can cope with chaos very well (which is our normal working scenario), plus look after themselves in random countries.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just support him in his decision. Good on him for having the balls.

legend
    Free Member

From memory (of when I nearly joined the Senior Service) you can pretty much bow out up until that day you head off for basic – which could be some time from now.

Every chance this is different between forces and in the years since in nearly signed up though

legend
    Free Member

What are his reasons for wanting to join?

yossarian
    Free Member

I would not want any of mine to join the armed forces tbh, would be a worry all time they are ‘away’– and never have they been more active !

Nor mine. I have 2 little boys and I’ll do all I can to persuade them not to join. However you have to respect the decisions they make when they are adults.

banks
    Free Member

Be proud.

P.s can I have is old job? 😀

brodie
    Free Member

Best thing I ever did. Encourage him to do the full 22 years and he will never have to worry about money or unemployment for the rest of his life.

footflaps

I was always tempted to sign up, for the whole travel / outward bound thing, but never got round to it. Still quite fancy joining the reserves….

mcboo
    Free Member

If he’s not suited to it he can leave any time during basic training. RTR are a cracking outfit as are the Cavalry. Not sure how many bits of heavy armour we’re going to have in a few years but driving a tank is just about the most fun a lad can have.

Who else on here has an H License?

Coyote
    Free Member

Not sure how I’d feel if it was mine. He’s only 8 though so plenty time yet. All you can do is support him. If you talk him out of it and things subsequently go awry, he may blame you. It’s a hard life and very dangerous but ultimately it’s his choice and it could be the making of him. Good luck whichever way it goes.

cinnamon_girl

ton – my son went through the initial application process for the Army and spent time on camp. Unfortunately he wasn’t accepted due to medical reasons and was bitterly disappointed.

I felt it was a terrific opportunity for him and really would have been right up his street. His father was less enthusiastic.

You have to let him go and, be honest, tanks sound fantastic! It will stand him in good stead for when he comes out. Let’s face it, not many jobs around for youngsters these days anyway.

ourmaninthenorth

looks like the tank regiment.

Mrs North’s grandfather was called up to a tank regiment in WW2. He never saw action. However, when he first drove a Sherman out on the road he did manage to destroy 200 yards worth of telegraph poles. Oops!

Good luck to him. Sounds like he;s given this some thought. Hope it works out well.

footflaps

You have to let him go and, be honest, tanks sound fantastic! It will stand him in good stead for when he comes out. Let’s face it, not many jobs around for youngsters these days anyway.

Hopefully they’ll let him keep the tank as well 😉

legend
    Free Member

Make sure he gets himself positioned for one of these:

MBTs might be limited but these’ll be going for a long time

bwaarp
    Free Member

That depends what he does in the Army, as a gunner in a tank? Not many jobs for that skill set on civvie street. As a mechanic or engineer maybe.

On the positive side if he works with Challengers he won’t get sent to Afghanistan, although I should imagine we will have pulled out before he can be sent on an op anyway.

brodie
    Free Member

Who else on here has an H License?

I do.

he did manage to destroy 200 yards worth of telegraph poles. Oops!

I can claim an entire German T – junction, the road was closed for a week!

Lifer
    Free Member

Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe.

wrecker
    Free Member

If he’s not suited to it he can leave any time during basic training.

That wasn’t the case when I went through. There was a window between 8-10 weeks (I think) when people could leave although one bloke got out because he went to the padre (literally crying). I saw him not long ago. He joined the Navy.
    I would certainly try to steer him towards something trade based; RE, REME, R Sigs etc though.

Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe.

Seriously, wind your neck in.

legend
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

ohh ffs 🙄

binners

Ton – I was the only one of my close mates who didn’t go in the forces. They’re now all well-rounded, construcive contributors to society, whereas I’m a bloody idiot!

Not only will he be fine, he’ll get to blow things up!!! And also get up to all sorts of other things my mates have told me about, that I wouldn’t repeat on her, but if you were a 21 year old lad, you’d be bang up for! 😀

stgeorge

Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe

Utter B******S

legend
    Free Member

that I wouldn’t repeat on her

Freudian slip?

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

“Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe.”

Seriously, wind your neck in.

legend – Member

“Lifer – Member
    Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe.”

ohh ffs

stgeorge – Member

“Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe”

Utter B******S

Any actual reasoning behind your protestations?

legend
    Free Member

This is a thread about someone’s son joining up for a dangerous job, not the place for some **** to drag politics into the equation.

xiphon
    Free Member

I don’t think the word ‘bomb’ in the title is very appropriate.

edlong
    Free Member

“Every person joining up is responsible for perpetuating our various wars around the globe.”

And everyone with a SKY tv subscription or who has ever bought The Sun or News of the World is responsible for phone hacking

Everyone who paid the Licence fee in the 1970s is responsible for Jimmy Saville fiddling with kids

Anyone who owns a Trek bicycle is responsible for widespread doping in pro road cycling

Anyone who has ever drunk Nescafe is responsible for African babies dying from unclean water in their milk formula

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Bit of a bombshell!!’ is closed to new replies.