Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Birth of a Carbon Wheel
  • kayak23

You can kind of appreciate why they cost so much….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxTWSTo2_4Q&feature=player_embedded[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

still too heavy for the £££

kayak23

I wouldn’t know. Thought it was interesting though. ..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cuberider
    Free Member

Interesting.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Don;t be so cynical, it’s about how stiff they are and therefore more accurate handling!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nothing I’ve not seen done before, but still quite cool to watch.

boxfish
    Free Member

Interesting + 1

I’m about to build up some of those (hopefully non-exploding) Chinese carbon clincher MTB rims. I’m well aware that I will, at some point, die.

However, I enjoy wheelbuilding and I thought I’d scratch the carbon itch that’s been irritating me for a while.

cynic-al
    Free Member

onceinalifetime – Member

Don;t be so cynical, it’s about how stiff they are and therefore more accurate handling!

Jeez, is that the hype they are putting out?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Haha, last time I checked, surprised that they don’t mention the added stiffness which straight pull are supposed to bring to the table.

😛

kayak23

Sheesh….tough crowd.. 😕

Gee76
    Free Member

Have you ordered boxfish? looking to do the same but not sure what the hit will be from customs. Was it the usual 25%?

boxfish
    Free Member

Gee76 – Rims arrived this week. Have not yet heard from HMRC but I expect to.

z1ppy

Wow very labour intensive, good video, like the Hope factory tour… there lots more to it that you realise.

(PS:Drop me an email Kayak about those tools)

Gee76
    Free Member

Light bicycle presumably?, did you go for the wide ones. I think they look about right balance of weight v strength. Be good to see how your build weighs in and looks:-)

Thinking stiff rims mean I could get away with revs. What have you gone for?

boxfish
    Free Member

Light bicycle presumably?, did you go for the wide ones.

Yes and yes. With black DT Comp spokes, black nipples & 240s hubs from Bike-Discount.de. According to the DT Swiss calculator, they should come in at 1509g (if the published weight of the rims is to be believed).

I’ll post some pics once they’re built, although I’ve no idea when that will be!

thedon
    Free Member

still too heavy for the £££

Its not about the weight, more aerodynamics.

Gee76
    Free Member

Cheers Boxfish, be interested to see how they go on and a wee review would be nice… can they really “feel” stiffer yet more compliant (I hope so!). Good luck.

Currently thinking of 240s hubs too but want to try and keep it below 1500g. Hopefully Revs and Ally Nips will help. Noticed a lot of Factory Carbon rims use lower spoke counts so there may be some extra rim stiffness to give scope to lose more weight there.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I really enjoyed that , but they are still out of my price range 🙁

matt_outandabout

I wonder how long before this technology ‘trickles down’, or someone sorts a less labour intensive process of manufacture.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Good find, interesting stuff.

Ignore the neg head bores.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Birth of a Carbon Wheel’ is closed to new replies.