Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Birdwatchers…who's seen a Bittern?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Saw my 1st today at Nosterfield in North Yorkshire.

Even the Mrs was mildly impressed, but she would’ve been happier with a Red Squirrel.

sharki
    Free Member

my first in the underclifffs near Lyme Regis in very unsuitable habitat.

Then saw loads at the nature reserve from hides.

martymac

not yet, ive only seen a picture.
    theres a street near me called bittern court, and ive seen that, does it count?

CountZero

Seen several flying around in one afternoon at Shapwick Heath near Glastonbury. Seen the Great White Egrets down there as well, four of them; pretty good going when there were only fourteen in the UK last year. They’ve bred successfully this year, too. Not seen the cranes yet, they’re a bit further south.

slackalice
    Free Member

Despite a lifetime sailing on the Norfolk Broads, I’ve still to see one and even hear one with their distinctive call. Would love to and is one still unchecked on my list 🙂

Was speaking with a warden at Horsey Mere back in August who said the numbers this year were low, apparently due to the lower water levels this year.

Marsh Harriers however are in abundance with 50+ breeding pairs regularly roosting over the winter months and we saw quite a few on our trip this year.

Slightly off topic, did see an Otter at Thurne Mouth on our way back from Horsey! 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bittern:

djflexure

Wetland centre in Putney – some kind chap let me look down his huge telescope.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Seen one at the Dungeness reserve. Saw a flash of wing and shouted ‘WTF was that!’ to my birding wife (and a hide full of tutting bird nerds).

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

Not seen one but a bittern and nightjar are on my must see British birds list.

Did see a stone chat on mam tor the other day which was nice.

JulianA
    Free Member

We saw three at Dungeness one cold, foggy winter day when we didn’t expect to see anything! Very close to the hide, too. We didn’t realise how incredibly well camouflaged they are when they are standing still in the reeds.

Great pic, DBW!

MrGreedy

Luckily enough I grew up near RSPB Minsmere, which is pretty much bittern central so have seen plenty over the years. Usually you only get a brief sighting in flight, but just occasionally there’ll be a bold one that ventures out in front of a hide and fishes in plain sight for ten minutes. The sound of a bittern booming (male mating call) is one of the weirdest things you’ll hear in nature – like the noise you make blowing across the top of a beer bottle, but eerily it carries for miles across the reedbeds.

CountZero

The sound of a bittern booming (male mating call) is one of the weirdest things you’ll hear in nature – like the noise you make blowing across the top of a beer bottle, but eerily it carries for miles across the reedbeds.

Exactly right, couldn’t believe it the first time I heard one.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Here’s the photo I got yesterday, not great but at least you can see what it is.

P1020858 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Birdwatchers…who's seen a Bittern?’ is closed to new replies.