Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • BirdTrackWorld Q
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

Can a buzzard hover into the wind blowing up a slope, like a kestrel but without the wing action?

Or I saw the world’s biggest and laziest kestrel.

twang
    Free Member

yes

highclimber
    Free Member

is it on a treadmill?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

Yes, seen it many times. Buzzards are very good at soaring, so can happily sit on the updraught and basically slope-soar. They’ve got very deep wings, so don’t need to flap. Barn owls can hover in still air as well, just like a kestrel.

CountZero

A kestrel, yesterday, wondering what all the fuss is about… 😀

hamishthecat

Yes. I have also heard it suggested by birders that it’s a skill buzzards have only learned in the last 50 or so years, as it was not observed previously. I’m sceptical personally.

piemonster

There’s a Buzzard that does this on Lundie Crags north of Dundee

Lundie Craigs

Bit odd when I saw it, as it followed me down the length of the crag.

nbt

Yes, I thought only kestrels could hover but when out on a birdwatching trip on Mull I saw several doing it and our guide confirmed that both buzzards and kestrels can do so

Never seen an owl doing it

john_drummer
    Free Member

that’s cos it’s dark, innit?

CountZero

Barn owls hunt in daylight, as do short-eared owls. Have you never seen film of barn owls on TV, hunting across fields, then stopping and hovering, before dropping on their prey? I’ve actually watched them do it in the wild.
    They can’t keep up a sustained hover, like kestrels can, but they can hover for twenty or thirty seconds, while sighting on the target.
    http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/infopage.html?Id=4

Flight

Compared to most birds Barn Owls have a very low wing loading (large wings supporting a lightweight body) this means they are able to fly very slowly without stalling and hover in only the slightest lift (rising air). Slow flight gives the birds ample time to locate and pinpoint prey on the ground below, and the low wing loading enables them to pass through the air very gently and hover with minimal effort. The owls’ feathers are very soft – another adaptation for quiet flight. The flight feathers are covered in a layer of tiny hairs that trap air within the feather surface and the foremost wing feather (the tenth primary) also has a row of tiny hooks that help to deaden the sound of air hitting the wings’ leading edge. Almost-silent flight enables the birds to hear the tiny sounds produced by their small mammal prey and approach them undetected.

– See more at: http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/infopage.html?Id=4#sthash.LNEToike.dpuf

redthunder
    Free Member

Yes. And witnessed.

Still a great bird though 🙂

Some crow pondered having a go but flew when they saw these three 🙂

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I would gladly deficate on their heads

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve seen a red kite outmanoeuvre a buzzard, so question two is – Can a red kite hover?

Klunk
    Free Member

with the right wind yes but probably not with the same precision that a kestrel can.

muggomagic

Buzzards and kites don’t hover as elegently as a kestrel does. They tend to hang in the air using air movement to err hang in the air.

nosedive
    Free Member

i thought that the rough legged buzzard could hover, but the common buzzard couldnt. happy to be proved wrong though

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘BirdTrackWorld Q’ is closed to new replies.