Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bird Zero, Sonder Transmitter?
  • benz
    Free Member

So, assuming I survive redundancy again, I fancy a new bike…also a big birthday later this year.

Quite fancy a new hard tail as I really don’t need enduro travel fs, etc,etc.

Alternative is my mate has offered up a surplus 29’er Canyon al frame and bits – it may build into a decent hardtail with appropriate forks, etc.

However, Bird or Sonder?

mechanicaldope

Never ridden a sonder. Have ridden a Bird. But not the current one. Anyway, get the Bird. Help?

mjsmke

My first hardtail for years was a Bird Zero TR that i bought Easter this year. Excellent bike with even more excellent customer support.

jonundercover
    Free Member

I have the Sonder NX Revelation and I love it. I recommend trying a plus bike before you buy one though as they do feel different to a normal hardtail. I changed the wheels to a set of Hopes with Easton 35mm rims as I didn’t like 45mm rims. The standard wheelset is very heavy, the Hopes transformed the ride.

malv173
    Free Member

I’m slowly building up a Bird Zero AM. It’s a beautiful looking thing. I can also vouch for their great customer service. The Sonders look lovely too though. I suppose it’s down to whether you fancy running plus tyres or not. The zeros can run up to 2.5s. Do you need fatter tyres?

nickfrog
    Free Member

I would stick to the Bird but that’s because I don’t understand Plus. I find 25mm + 2.35 tyres about perfect for anything off-road so I don’t get the need for bigger. I have tried a fat bike once and understood even less !

jonundercover
    Free Member

Alpkit will post you a transmitter to demo for a weekend, worth a go.

https://www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/sonder-bike-demo-days

DrP

I thought everbody’s heard about the Bird?
    Don’t you know about the bird?

Bird is the word.

DrP

malv173
    Free Member

I think ^^^ should seal the deal really.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have a Sonder Transmitter and am running it with normal 2.4 maxxis high roller 2s. You don’t have to run plus on them.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

What size rims are you running the HR2s on Lemures (or is it Casper) ? 🙂

TheGhost
    Free Member

What size rims are you running the HR2s on Lemures (or is it Casper) ?

I was running them on WTB Asym i35s which worked great. I now have DT Swiss 28mm internal rims on there and these are almost as good but the tires are about 60mm wide not 63mm.

The Transmitter only has a gap of 78.5mm so you can’t go too big. i tried 2.8 NNics (72mm wide) but they where quite close to the stays. Ok in the dry but rubbish in the mud. I think it’s best with 2.4-2.6s

malv173
    Free Member

[/url]Bird Zero AM by Gavin Williams, on Flickr[/img]

jaylittle
    Free Member

Whats your location OP? Any opportunity to test ride a bird.

malv173
    Free Member

Took it on its maiden voyage this morning. It’s pretty awesome. My first taste of modern bike, having ridden a 456 Evo for a few of years. Highly recommend one. But knowing that the Sonder is happy on non-plus wheels, I think you’d be sorted whichever you choose.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bird Zero, Sonder Transmitter?’ is closed to new replies.