Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Bird Zero as an XC bike?
  • phil40
    Free Member

Hi,

I want to give XC racing a go this year (well the Gorrick Fun category and the brass monkey series). I think I can get about £1000 towards a hardtail. I was looking at the Boardman 29er XC bike, but then saw the Bird and like the spec and the fact it is a local company (I live near Swinley).

I know this is probably all about my legs and not the bike, but could I use the zero as an XC race bike, or is it completely the wrong tool for the job, and I should go for the Boardman, or some other bike I haven’t considered!

I am never going to be front of the pack, but I would like to progress from the back of the pack and actually race so I do want a bike that will be suitable.

gkeeffe

The bird Azeris is fantastic, but it’s not a race bike. Even with skinny tyres. But it’s the best bike for the money for riding if you only have one. .

Northwind

I’ve done a couple of endurance xc races on my ragley, which is the same sort of deal. It’s not disastrous but the difference between a proper race bike and a hardcore hardtail is still pretty big. I thought I’d be able to claw back time on the descents but you spend most of the time climbing, and on the way down racy tyres compromise things (and it’s harder to pass and make progress on the way down!)

If you’re like me and racing for a laugh, or for a personal challenge, it’s fine. But if you’re competitive then you’ll be fighting a substantial disadvantage. FWIW I built my Scandal 29er for way less than a grand, with used parts. It’s not bleeding-edge pro light but it’s way into diminishing returns.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I race for fun and a bit of pride, I’ve done xc on hardcore ht, carbon trail bikes but my 100mm 29r kicks then all off the course. Until you have done the right tool for the job it doesn’t make much sense…

njee20
    Free Member

I say see how you get on before spending on a new bike.

tillyfishes
    Free Member

I have a Zero in a AM specification, I would say the bike is an all round blast. XC wise you would get a relatively light bike for your money and you would receive all the expert advice/help from the guys at bird. I reckon that in a xc race you would have way more fun on descents than anyone else! – As a hardcore all-out racing bike i am not sure but if you also want to have a outstanding trail hardtail for all-round riding it is definitely the option to go for.

As for the boardman I have heard more bad than good from a mate that races XC!

ferrals
    Free Member

I can comment on this as I have a similar bike (whyte 901), although if anything less hardcore, more racy than the bird I think. I bought the bike off the back of Media reviews when I decided I was going to start riding again – without realising I was going to get full on into xc racing again. Th whyte is not a race bike. I race it, but I do wish I’d bought a more xc bike. I’ve spent a bit of money since lightening it, had the fork travel dropped, but it’s still a slack trail bike. You can’t take the best lines through very tight switchbacks and on very steep and tech climbs the front end does wander. Descending is brilliant fun on the bike, but it’s not where races are won in my opinion (maybe lost if you crash). From what I remember of racing in the S.E. As a kid and from a recent gorrick I did, there are very few hills that need slack head angles and long travel in them.

My beliefs are even more compounded since I started racing cross, get on the mtb and it feels like I’m riding a chopper with it’s kicked out front end.

However, You say you are thinking about racing fun, so it’s about fun! As njee says, try some races then decide

BigDummy
    Free Member

The really big thing with XC racing is whether or not you’re capable of going so hard you think there’s a real possibility that your chest is going to explode. Some people can do that, others can’t.

If you can, you’ll beat everyone who can’t, pretty much regardless of bike.

🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

It shouldn’t be anywhere near the top of your list as an XC race bike. My large frame weighs 2300g with rear axle and seat collar and the frame is intended for a relatively long travel fork. If you just fancy one and the racing thing isn’t all that relevant then go for it. I really like mine.

superstu
    Free Member

Bad option in my opinion. Great bike but not what it’s designed for. Much better options out there for the money if XC is your thing

superstu
    Free Member
    glasgowdan
    Free Member

A good used 100mm full sus 29er is a far better tool.. look for an anthem or something like that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe a “trail” 29er HT would be a good compromise.

That’s what I race XC on and it’s competitive enough that I’m not losing places because of the bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Two quite likely outcomes… you do some XC racing on the Brid but don’t enjoy it as you’re lugging around a big burly trail bike. Or you do start to enjoy it but realise you’re at some disadvantage lugging around a big heavy trail bike and start looking longingly at proper XC race bikes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    benpinnick

have your seen the new Bird Zero TR?

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-bird-zero-tr-1-15-49665//

The TR is probably lighter than most alu ‘XC bikes’ for the same money, just with some more modern trail biased geometry. I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t make an excellent XC race bike if you want something you can race but would also want to ride more generally. Of course its not the optimal XC race bike, but its also outrageously good fun on the trails.

Yak

I’d just have a go on whatever you have now at the Crowthorne Gorrick then decide. I’ll be there hopefully, so you are welcome to have a spin on my slightly more xc bike. I’ll be in Pedal 2 Pedal kit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not sure this is a good idea. I have a Zero and did 10UTB on it this year. I was in the bottom third in my category and many people overtook me on the climbs on more XC style bikes. I can only think it’s because I was on the wrong bike, can’t see what else would explain it.

phil40
    Free Member

Many thanks for all the replies, lots to think about, I guess I really need to figure out if as a 42yr old with no racing experience if I can push myself to chest bursting point, or just accept I will be low down the results, but enjoy a bit of competition 😀

I currently have a boardman FS team with flat pedals (got it on a 15% off + 10% BC cycling deal) I was going to ride it last Sunday until the event got cancelled. I will try it at Crowthorne, so give me a wave as you come zooming past 😀

Cheers Yak, my son (6) is loving the pedal 2 pedal course, so he will be along as well trying to race everyone! We can hopefully ave a chat after the race!

I will be in contact Ben……when I get the funds together! The chance for a test ride sounds good and if we could chat about spec to make it more XC orientated I could at least see if it works for me.

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve saw a couple of Birds doing 12:12 , so you wouldn’t be the first to race one .

Generally though , for covering ground at the best speed you can , 95% of the bikes in XC are 29ers , both the pro’s & the fun catergory.

ferrals
    Free Member

Reading that Bird review reminded me of the saracen matnra carbon – that seems like an interesting mix of trail and more trad xc. might be worth considering if you want a slightly more race-ish trail bike. Though I think give a few races a go and see if you like it enough to focus a bike decision around it, and maybe a compromise between full on trail and full on race is neither here nor there.

phil40
    Free Member

As it is half term I took the chance to organise a demo of the Bird Zero TR. Dan couldn’t have been more helpful, setting up the fork and even putting on a different stem so I would get a betetr fit on the large.

I popped off to Swinley to do a lap of Blue and red and I had a blast! At first I tried to ride it like my current full sus and it all felt a bit different, but as soon as I got myself out of the saddle and let the bike do its thing on the singletrack I had loads of fun!

I have no doubt a 29er does have the edge in a marginal gains type of way for an XC race, but I had a grin on my face most of the way round Swinley (it was a stunning autumnal day which always helps!) and in a race where I will be towards the back having a laugh is key feature 😀

Now I just have to get the pennies saved up and wait until they arrive in December to get one for myself! Also to ask the most important question, gun metal grey with white graphics or blue with white graphics!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I had a grin on my face

Definitely unsuitable for XC racing then 😉

AlexSimon

Sounds great Phil – enjoy!
    I liked that gun metal grey. Shame they aren’t doing the orange/lime of the Aeris though.

Tiger6791

Why can’t you use the bike you’ve got?

phil40
    Free Member

Apart from N+1?

Not sure, there is no objective reason, but I have a bike fund I save into regularly and my wife doesn’t mind an occasional purchase as she knows it is a lot less expensive than other hobbies I could have.

anagallis_arvensis

When is this race. I have a feeling it might be time to get the mrs worried again!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Get the grey one.

phil40
    Free Member

Gorrick Autumn XC classic (Crowthorne I think) on the 1st of November, or the Gorrick Brass monkey series which kicks off on the 15th Of November. I will be firmly in the Fun category!

My wife had a few too many visits to A&E during my road racing era, she sees mtb’ing as a safe alternative! You are not to say a word if you meet her 🙂

Tiger6791

I’m no expert and have only done a few XC races but I wouldn’t get a bike based racing. Get a bike your going to use for the other 99% of the time.

You can race on anything, so if you fancy a Zero, get a Zero.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Bird Zero as an XC bike?’ is closed to new replies.