Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bird Watch :-)
  • redthunder
    Free Member

We’ve just got bombed out by Redwings today. From no birds to these 🙂

I’m sure someone will pipe up with eagle or something. But I’m happy.

Others today:
    Sparrow, Blackbird, Long Tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Thrush, Pied Wagtail and a Robin.

Spose when the snow goes back to emptiness 🙁

redthunder
    Free Member

Swear filter dont like birds, especially tits 😉

anjs
    Free Member

Had 5 of them at once the other day for the first time in my garden

stumpy01

Excellent! Was sat in traffic yesterday and there was about 10 of those in a bush picking berries. Never seen them before, and did a rubbish job explaining it to the other half who is generally pretty good at identifying birds…

Now I know! Thanks!

ojom
    Free Member

Going to set up a Fox Watch at the house – dog went daft last night at something in the back garden.
    Found weird poo there recently so think we have a visitor.

Might go to maplins and geek out over some motion night cameras n stuff.

Getting a bird table too
    *settles into suburban life comfortably and worryingly well*

Helios
    Free Member

Redwings are cool – I’m still hoping for a glimpse of some Waxwings this winter…

From my office window at the moment I get a load of long-tailed, great and blue tits all feeding in a flock together (long-tailed are my favourite – like a ball of fluff on a stick), there is a wren that lives in the hedge, a frequent robin and the occasional green woodpecker as well as assorted woodpigeons, blackbirds and thrushes. Have also had woodcock and snipe in the field.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Long tailed tits are like micro magpies. They’re gorgeous though.

stumpy01

Going to set up a Fox Watch at the house – dog went daft last night at something in the back garden.
    Found weird poo there recently so think we have a visitor.

Was it small, almost jet black bits of poo?
    Could be a hedgehog. We’ve had a few in the garden, they make a really loud, snorting noise while snuffling about.

13thfloormonk

The bullfinches have descended to strip the one bush in my parent’s garden of any berries, they’re great wee birds

Had a Ptarmigan give us a very close fly-past up Aonach Mor, never seen them in flight, very nice!

Saw these up Ben Vorlich but that was a few months ago…

redthunder
    Free Member

Today…Waxwings for the first time. My first Twitch …. well local rare bird in my riding patch anyway. If anyone is interested and lives in Bristol, I’ll tell you where.

Other birds I saw today but dont know what they, any thoughts?

Redwing ?

Others I know:

stevemakin

song thrush yesterday

redwing yesterday

sharki
    Free Member

Fieldfares are in two of the pics

sturmey
    Free Member

Redthunder the second one down looks like a Fieldfare. “In the UK as a passage migrant and winter visitor”. Quote taken from grittyshaker or brightaire@blogspot. My brother we had one in our garden yesterday and I had to ask him what it is.

mattstreet

First one looks like a Blackcap
    2 & 3 are Fieldfares
    Don’t know about the bird of prey – looks impressive tho – possibly a Red Kite, difficult to tell without being able to see the tail properly

Nico
    Free Member

Redwing, fieldfare, little egret, mistle thrush.

boxelder

Is the big yin flying not just a Buzzard?

redthunder
    Free Member

Thank all for the Fieldfare Id.

redthunder
    Free Member

The bird of prey is probably a buzzard. It’s always a buzzard. Still great to see though.

ski
    Free Member

Any idea’s what a “Russian Thrush” looks like?

We had a group of bird spotters, sat outside our home yesterday watching the woodland, trying to spot one?

mattstreet

Yeah, Buzzard – I doubt Red Kites spread their way over to Bristol yet – just get used to seeing them round my way 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ve seen red kites at Avonmouth that have crossed the Severn. Only a couple though.

http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Buzzard.
    Waxwings stripped our rowan of berries a couple of weeks ago. Spent the morning with the bedroom window wide open taking photos. Lovely birds.
    Pair of bullfinches in the garden on Sunday.

redthunder
    Free Member

double post

sharki
    Free Member

Any idea’s what a “Russian Thrush” looks like?

We had a group of bird spotters, sat outside our home yesterday watching the woodland, trying to spot one?

They’re much more erratic than the mistle or song thrush.
    Very twitchy. Not just nervous either.

The look very similar to our resident thrush, the best way to identify them is by the speed the do things.

HTH

CountZero

Definitely a Buzzard, I’ve seen a Red Kite the other side of Marshfield on the A420 heading East from the Bristol area, and from the top of Tog Hill you can see right across the Severn into the Beacons and Black Mountains, so it’s no great distance for a Kite to migrate across, and they’ll be meeting the introduced birds spreading across Wiltshire from Berkshire and Oxfordshire soon, with luck. Truly beautiful bird in flight. Strangely, not seen any Redwings or Fieldfairs in the garden after the berries yet, but there are loads out in the country at the moment. Maybe they’ll be in after the hedges have been stripped. No Waxwings yet, either, sadly. Love the Long-tailed Tits as well, like fluffy lollipops.

Nico
    Free Member

Forgot to mention that the one below the young swan is a baby robin.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Great thread r t. Spotted some of the Fieldfares here the other day and had to get the book out.

I’ve seen a Red Kite the other side of Marshfield on the A420 heading East from the Bristol area,

He’s been as far as the edge of the Cotswolds ‘scarp on the edge of Bath too, not a pair… yet.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bird Watch :-)’ is closed to new replies.