Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bird ID help required…
  • piha
    Free Member

I’ve been watching a blackbirds nest in my garden over the last few weeks and earlier today I saw this bird around the nest. I have done a bit of a search and it doesn’t look like a baby blackbird, so would any of you lot know what type of bird it is?

Picture quality isn’t the best but the yellow on its chest was a bit brighter than in the photo.

Baby robin/blackbird hybrid perhaps 😯

brakes
    Free Member

baby robin
    BAM!

actually looks like a blue tit

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

Definitely a fledgling but I’ve seen young robins and they’ve been much darker than that.

^^^ Yes I’d agree with fledgling bluetit.

As an aside I saw my first ever male redstart yesterday while out in the peaks. What a bird!

muggomagic

Looks like a young blue tit or possibly a young warbler.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Hand-reared a bluetit last year that had fallen out of the nest, yes that looks very familiar.

CountZero

I’d say Bluetit too, colouring looks right.

brakes
    Free Member

the giveaway for me is the black line running from the eye to the back of the head, rather than a cap which other tits/ finches have

piha
    Free Member

Thanks for the ID everyone, blue tit it is then. 😀

Looks like the local cats have got into the blackbirds nest but well done to the tit family on raising a little tit. My garden is about 6 years old, quite urban and all planted by me. I thought that the blackbirds were the first and only birds to nest in there. Nice to know something else has managed to nest and evade the local moggies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bird ID help required…’ is closed to new replies.