Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bird Aeris seatstay protection
  • triassicbunter
    Free Member

I’ve just got a new Bird Aeris 120 and was wondering if anyone who has one has taken any steps to protect the drive side seatstay from the chain?

The chain runs pretty close to the seatstay in the highest gears.

This is my first bike with a Sram clutch mech and it seems a bit feeble compared to a Shimano clutch mech which is part of the concern.

hainman
    Free Member

Dot. You mean the chainstay??
    Isn’t seatstay the top one??
    In which case the chain should never reach it
    For chain stay I bought a Bird chainstay protector from Bird

mark90
    Free Member

3M 2228 mastic tape applied to the lower inside edge of the seat stay. Did this on my own Aeris Mk1.5 and a friends Aeris 145 to good effect. The tape is marked, the frame is not.

triassicbunter
    Free Member

I do mean the seatstay hainman. Thanks for the info Mark.

The demo bike I rode had half a chain stay protector fitted to the seat stay but there isn’t enough clearance so I’ll probably just use some tape.

paladin

i had inner yube on mine. looks a bit crap tho. took it off while i had the bike stripped and not sure if ill put it back on

scc999

That 3M tape is what I’ve used.
    Mine has got a bit chewed up so need to remove and replace it, that should be fun!!

spacey

Didn’t put anything on my mk1 when I got it 18 months ago. Wish I had, it’s a bit of a mess now.

joemmo
    Free Member

Hadn’t really noticed this until you mentioned it but it does run quite close when on the 10t, I’ll probably just put a bit of vinyl tape on there in case.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve put a little left over All mountain frame protection on mine. Fingers crossed it will do the job.

joebristol

Got a chainstay protector on my 145 but hadn’t considered the inside of the seat stay. Will have to go and check it out tomorrow morning now!

joemmo
    Free Member

Oh the horror! I removed my back wheel to take a look and it’s definitely an area worth taping, if you care about that sort of thing. Which evidently I do because I’m writing on this thread… anyway the chipping is around the rearmost bend in the seatstay. I also noticed my heels have been catching the seatstay, looks like my feet aren’t boost compatible.

mikeyd
    Free Member

I noticed this on my one45 when building it up, duct tape seems to have done the job. Only a couple of mm between the chain and seatstay.

triassicbunter
    Free Member

I must care too, although I think I’m still suffering from new bike anxiety.

I’ve actually fitted an Invisiframe kit to my bike but it doesn’t cover the lower-rear of the seatstay, which is annoying… (It also doesn’t cover the bottom edge of the seatstay all that well either).

The kit came with some patches so I stuck those on this area and for good measure I’ve put some electrical tape on the lower half of the seatstay which covers the bottom edge and part of the rear face. You can’t really see that I’ve done this unless you look closely at the bike.

I also have a bit of a problem with catching my heels but find it depends on how bulky a shoe I’m wearing.

BTW, it’s a great bike! I’ve only been for one easy ride on it but did a demo at Cwmcarn and know that it rides really well.

joemmo
    Free Member

Ah yes, Invisiframe… I also fell into that trap. Tell you what though, fitting one of those really sharpens up your vinyl application skills.

I’ve managed to cut and fit a strip that butts up against the seatstay patch and runs along the inside and lower edge, hopefully it’ll do the trick.

They are great bikes, Ive entered a couple of e****o style events this month so that should give us both a thorough test!

hainman
    Free Member

https://www.bird.bike/product-category/components/frame-spares/
    Check here for Bird chainstay protection
    Neoprene sleeve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris seatstay protection’ is closed to new replies.