Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Bird Aeris Demo
  • AlexSimon

Shifter would be Saint

Ah – thanks for the reminder. I wasn’t impressed with the latest XT (felt like sram of a few years ago).
    Is the Saint or XTR smoother/less clunky?

Brakes would be Zee

I liked the Zee brakes I tested, but I’ve also ridden the XT on lots of bikes too – a little more instant and obviously lighter. I can’t remember finding them lacking modulation.

IME the X-fusion is fine on a trail center, and OK on normal trails, but felt a bit odd over rocky sections. Depends where you ride mostly, Peaks or Lakes I’d get the best and most reliable shock possible, trail centers and XC I’d get the X-fusion and peel the sticker off.

This is part of what I was worrying about. I did the test-ride at Cannock, yet ride in the Peaks.
    I don’t like making such a big change without riding though. The x-fusion was enjoyable around Cannock and I’m not looking for a sofa – as you can see in the photo – I don’t weigh much either.

I definitely can’t go above the current cost though, so an upgrade to CCDB (or inline) would also mean moving to XT cranks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

an upgrade to CCDB (or inline) would also mean moving to XT cranks.

I’d probably do that then. I’ve never ridden a bike with a CCDB, but the X-fusion was a step down from a float, and everyone raves about the CCDB being better than aything else (i.e. a float).

You won’t miss the cranks. If anything XT is probably stiffer which IMO is more important than weight almost anywhere on the bike.

Ah – thanks for the reminder. I wasn’t impressed with the latest XT (felt like sram of a few years ago).
    Is the Saint or XTR smoother/less clunky

I like the clunkyness. Not really a clunk, more of a definate tick, but I didn’t like the older shimano feel, it was too smooth.

AlexSimon

ok – ta – so why would someone use Saint over XT?
    All the bikes I tested either had 1×11 or XT afaicr. I actually [whisper] prefered the sram shifters [/whisper].

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

Is the Saint or XTR smoother/less clunky?

Saint is bolt-action, basically SRAM-feel copy. Best Shimano shifter ever imo but you might not like it if you prefer the smoother feel.

I’ve not used the latest XTR but the earlier 10-speed one was very smooth, which to me is just broken-feeling and feedback-free but might well suit you better?

AlexSimon

It’s probably just what I’m used to.
    2002 XTR 9-speed Rapid rise (not the flappy paddle things)
    Nothing will be as good 🙂 🙁

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

The 10 spd XTR shifter is very light and smooth, to the extent that for me on the steeper bumpier bits of natural trail around Aberdeen I found it hard sometimes to get one gear at a time. The Saint shifter is a bit more positive which I like better.

br
    Free Member

I definitely can’t go above the current cost though,

Delay the order by a month (or more) and save?

AlexSimon

I could do that b r, but I’m saving instead to visit a friend in Vancouver. I figure whether I have carbon cranks or not is pretty trivial compared to taking the bike out to the North Shore and Whistler.

chakaping
    Free Member

Whenever I’ve strayed from Shimano cranks I’ve ended up regretting it for one reason or another. Usually when I’ve needed to take them on or off.

I’d go for a carbon bar instead if it was my build.

🙂

AlexSimon

Carbon bars are in there (Next SL 35mm)
    Carbon wheels are also in there (Bird’s own with DT Swiss hubs)

As you can see, it’s a bargain 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Won’t they let you have the Sixc bar? Thought Next SL was the XC range?

AlexSimon

Yes, the SixC bar is on the list – But I weigh 58kg and 760mm is wide enough. They do a 35mm diameter option so I can’t imagine it being unsuited.

chris_db
    Free Member

I’m just jealous you are getting one. Mrs B won’t let me – I have to spend my bonus on decorating, a sofa and carpet 🙁

ska-49
    Free Member

So what’s the final spec? Has Ben given you an ETA?

AlexSimon

I had a chat with them on Friday and was (once again) very impressed with their helpfulness, advice and level-headedness.

Final spec is still as above, but they aren’t too concerned if the only thing that changes is the shock, so I’m giving it a bit of thought. They are confident of having great Cane Creek base tunes available at launch.

I’ve never been given a firm date – when I ordered it said Feb.
    I’m already getting twitchy and I’ve still got to wait 10ish weeks!

Still – on the bright side, I’m not dragging my new bike through the mud in the dark, like I am my Maverick 🙂

jockmcjock
    Free Member

The tune they had on the Medium I took to Scotland certainly wasn’t far off if they think it was, for me anyway.
    I’ve ordered mine with a CCDB Inline and if I had to choose between fancy cranks or suspension I would go CC every time, especially if I were going to the places you intend to go (lucky bugger).

AlexSimon

(lucky bugger).

Fingers crossed – nothing’s set in stone!

DickBarton

Has it arrived yet? I’m really wanting to Aeris 1 (need to work out where the money will be coming for it). Coming from a Whyte 146, I’m not expecting to notice the back end being flexible – looking t the design it is a larger triangle that what I have now so it should have plenty stiffness…I’m also not a hard rider and don’t tend to go looking for air…but it seems to be ticking all my boxes!

Slightly stuck on size…frame looks very small so I’m thinking the XL, but I dropped Bird an email and got a very useful reply back so it’ll be a Large (riding a large 146 but I’m not convinced it is the right size for me – got about 5-6″ height difference from saddle to bar and I’m getting the idea that nowadays, the variation should be much smaller so you don’t get the racer position…would probably help me ride harder stuff as I wouldn’t be feeling like I’m already pitched over)…

Anyway, I’m monologuing…if the bike has arrived, how is it riding?

kudos100
    Free Member

I was told the end of March for frames, April for complete bikes. We shall see……

I took one out for a demo around Swinley and loved it. It’s a really easy bike to ride fast. Jumps and corners amazingly and still seemed to be somewhat playful, despite being a long bike with a large wheelbase.

AlexSimon

Yep, hopefully be able to tell you more in a couple of weeks.

Alex

There’s a chance I’ll be testing mine in the Pyrenees. Probably for it’s first ride! Frames due end next week, we’re driving to France the following Weds. I’ve been nailing lucky rabbit’s feet to the workshop wall in the hope it’ll give the guys time to build mine and ship it to me.

I had a sizing conversation with Ben. At 5ft11 (short legs) was dithering as always between a M and a L. But Ben convinced me to go with M, which sounds a similar conversation to you DB.

Looking forward to getting mine as the trails are drying out.

Rubber_Buccaneer

There’s a chance I’ll be testing mine in the Pyrenees. Probably for it’s first ride!

I’m 50/50 as to whether that is a fantastic way to get your new bike sorted or a nightmare waiting to happen with bits coming loose or something needing replacing. I’d do it anyway 🙂

I’ve been nailing lucky rabbit’s feet to the workshop wall

They don’t sound all that lucky….IGMC

Alex

Well we’re taking the van, so I’ll have the spare bike in there. It certain;y wasn’t lucky for the rabbits 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

I have just about everything ready and waiting to build it up, apart from the frame!!

Mine is an XL, which felt bang on at 6’3 with long arms and legs.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

How are you guys getting on with your Aeris’? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger. Only query for me is DB Inline or Air as I’ll be going frame only.

Also, any photos of the black frame would be ace!

razorrazoo

Some pics of the black on the Bird Cycleworks FB page.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yep but the pics are all at a funny angle! A good side on would be ace

Alex

Yep still loving mine. Has another 200km since that review. Including a 90km ride from home to a big day out at the FOD and back again, and a visit to Bike Park Wales. Where I enjoyed it more than my old NP Mega AM. Not sure why, just felt more confident.

If you ask Ben/Dave at Bird, they’ll sort you out some better pics I’m sure. I know Ben’s not a huge fan of the inline (or he wasn’t when I bought mine) v the DB. I’ve never had a shock as ‘good’ as the DB before but it is absolutely amazing.

Run mine in 140mm rear travel setting most of the time. Stuck it in the 150mm for BPW. Not sure I could tel the difference, sure better riders could.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I got the standard Monarch RT3 Debonair. Not sure if i would really apprecite the DB or a RC3 Debonair+.

Is there really much of a difference?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Had a ride on a friends large frame and it felt decent. Very different to my giant reign, longer and forced me into an attack position a lot more. I noticed the wheel.size to look at but not in a difference in the ride. Heavy bike, which is putting me off a bit. Going to try and test an orbea rallon as well to get a comparison

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris Demo’ is closed to new replies.