Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • BioOil = Snake Oil – or does it work?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Time on my hands and scars on my legs so wondered if bio oil works.

They speak very highly of it on the adverts but has anyone used it and what was the result?

nealglover
    Free Member

Worked for me.

Takes a long time though, but its not exactly expensive or difficult to do.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Wifey has used it during 3 pregnancies and has zero stretch marks so swears by it.

crikey
    Free Member

Are you going back to ankle modelling again?

peasant
    Free Member

I was just going to post the same question after using my face as a brake two weeks ago,now stitches are gone i now have a few scars that need some attention

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep, its really good.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will start a photo blog once I have told the wife to get some.

I have a selection of scars, varying in age, size and prettiness

spudnick
    Free Member

scars are cool, FACT. wear them proud

marcus7
    Free Member

I was sceptical, but her in doors used it while pregnant and it did work on stretch marks, quite impressed to be honest!

cinnamon_girl

WCA – do hope you’re on the mend and feeling better!

Bio-oil – hmm an interesting question. Following my accident last year I used it on my scars which were on my face, knees and elbows. Not sure whether it worked or not as I still have scars on knees and elbows.

Interestingly though, earlier this year after I had metalwork put in shoulder, I thought I would use it again on the stitches. Owwwwwwwwww no way!!! It was incredibly sore. 🙁

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

As a twenty year psoriasis sufferer, I reckon I’ve got a little experience of emollients and moisturisers 😉

Basically, thats all it is, just another moisturiser

does nothing significant that couldn’t be achieved by rubbing baby oil or olive oil into your skin four times a day!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

ISpud – I have enough to keep the chicks digging. Thought I would do a field trial.

I did the same to compare Vaseline against Savlon for scratch healing. The results from that was that you should use Savlon after cleaning the wound and again 8 hours(ish) later but after that you are best using Vaseline twice a day.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Here we are, ASA ruling on the ‘stretch marks’ adverts:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2009/9/Union_Swiss-Ltd/TF_ADJ_46914.aspx

We told Union-Swiss to remove the direct claim “Bio-Oil helps improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and uneven skin tone” from future ads and also told them to avoid making implied claims along those lines.

crikey
    Free Member

Z-11, isn’t there some kind of plaster or dressing that claims the same thing?

I seem to recall a colleague trying it.

jamj1974

There are dressings that can minimise scarring – my son had one after a burn.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I am happy to be independent and report my findings. I am not planning on getting pregnant so it will only be bike and surgery scars.

Out of interest, what is Bio Oil?

Vegetable oil, olive oil, mineral oil, Castrol GTX?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ok, from my reading of the ingredients list…

The ‘oil base’ in which the ‘plant extracts and vitamins’ are suspended is good, old fashioned Paraffinum Liquidum, (mineral oil) with some esthers

vitamin A, vitamin E, chamomile, lavender, rosemary, sunflower seed and soya oils are all in the mix, but given where they are in the ingredients list, in fairly minor amounts.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

As you first implied WCA, snake oil.

BurnBob
    Free Member

Another one here whos wife used it during pregnacy. Zero stretch marks so works well. Whoever said it isnt expensive has clearly never bought the stuff!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay, prepare the trial.

3 different oils – Bio Oil, Olive Oil and ???

Each applied daily, possibly twice daily if I can be bothered but all applied the same time and same frequency.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Crikey, sorry – I meant to come back to you on that

I think most of the ‘scar reducing’ dressings rely on hydrocolloids, and they function through retaining a moist environment to prevent scar tissue formation.

WCA – I reckon bio-oil, baby oil (or olive oil) and e-45 would be a good mix (or maybe diprobase instead of e-45)

I’d be willing to join in, and try some on patches of psoriasis to look at the moisturising effect.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have some e45 cream, is that what you mean?

Bio oil vs E45 vs Ollive oil

Thread started once I have persuaded the wife it is a good idea an she brings me the ingredients.

I dedicate myself to science,. My Mum always said I should be am example to others

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it better than wet lube for muddy conditions?

nicko74

According to some medical lady I saw when I got my most recent surgical scar, massaging the scar tissue (without necessarily any particular oil) will, over time, reduce the appearance of the scar.

LeeW

It’s the massaging that improves the appearance of the scaring/stretch marks not the oil.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife couldn’t use it on stretch marks because of the smell.

Nonsense
    Free Member

The only stuff that really helps reduce scarring (other than steroid injections) is called dermatix. Its hideously expensive but its prescribed by consultant dermatologists and has actual clinical results to back up the claims. A number of NHS trusts refuse to prescribe it due to cost though. Saying all that, my wife also swore by bio-oil during pregnancy and she’s stretch mark free.

crikey
    Free Member

Z-11 thanks for that.

I had trouble with overgrowth of scar tissue when I used hydrocolloid dressings on pretty severe road rash,and I’ve seen it in other circumstances. More work needed on scarring and tissue generally?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I used it after a otb from 10 feet up (picnic bemch) and it permanently for rid of the fresh facial scars. Tried on old leg scars it clears them vur they return once I srop using

imnotverygood

Wife was recommended it by a plastic surgeon (a colleague before anyone asks)

brooess
    Free Member

Used it on my shoulder scar which was pretty severe (3 times they went in to sort out my clavicle)
    Word of warning – it stained my shirts…

muddy_bum
    Free Member

How about silicon gel dressings (silgel) instead.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘BioOil = Snake Oil – or does it work?’ is closed to new replies.