Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bionicon chain guides…
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Seem to remember people raving about these?

I’ve just bought a new XT chainset and AB oval ring to go on my Trance. The existing SLX chainset and RF n/w ring will then go on my hardtail allowing me to ditch a shifter and front mech. The rear derailleur is SLX but not a clutch type, and the cassette is 9sp (also the chain).

Done a bit of Googling and it seems the 9sp chain will work and most don’t have an issue with dropped chains despite not having the clutch. I’m not gnarly gnarl core in this bike anyway, but saw the new Bionicon guide (the Primo one) and thought, why not.

Anyone got one of the new versions?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have the Bionicon eco, not dropped a chain in the near two years I have been using it. Not used that much by many peoples standards, but a few trips to Antur, BPW, Cadair Idris, week in Finale/Molini, trail centres, Aston hill etc.

BadlyWiredDog

saw the new Bionicon guide (the Primo one)

What’s the ‘Primo’ guide? I haven’t come across it.

I’ve used the last two versions and they’ve generally worked well for me with two provisos: one is that you’ll probably need to lengthen your chain to allow it to work. The second is that in abrasive environments like the Dark Peak, the chain-guide tube bit simply wears out quite fast.

With the initial version you could change the guide, with the Eco one you throw it away and start again, which ironically doesn’t seem very sustainable…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

This one – comes with a spare “rubber”

Chain is already doing 2×9 going to 1×9 so will see how it goes before trimming. Very dry here 85% of the time so dust more than gritty mud.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Get t’fuq!!!

Well I’d have saved a couple of dollars getting that one, but then added it on with postage to Oz so about even really. (And you don’t get a spare boot with that one)

Actually the Bionicon one is alloy and the one youve linked is placcy. You also get the zip ties and the option of having it tied to chainstay or a cable guide if there’s one unused.

sq225917
    Free Member

I stocked up on the plastic guide parts and mounted them with zipties and o-rings. Don’t use them sinceI went 1x but they worked fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bionicon chain guides…’ is closed to new replies.