Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bionicon alva 180 air
  • milkman100
    Free Member

hi I have a spicy 516 at the moment and it keeps crossing my mind to change it, dont know why because it suits my riding very well, if i was going to change it I do fancy bionicon alva 180 air,

so has any one got one, i really like the idea of the adjustable geometry, my spicy has the fox36 talas, and i am useing the travel adjust all the time, so i am a bit of a one for faffing about

I have look round for reviews but there doesnt seem to be that many, nearly most i have read is that they are very relaible despite looking quite complex

so any one got one
    cheers
    craig

sambob
    Free Member

I had a ride on the freeridey one (supershuttle?) and the geometry change stuff was superb, but i think they need to bet set up perfectly to get the most out of them. To be honest, i much preferred the Scott Genius 20 i tried.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

A friend of mine has got one and when it’s working it’s good, but the suspension system (shock/forks) had to be replace after a few weeks and on a recent trip to the Alps it got stuck in DH mode. Last I heard he was trying to return it as not fit for purpose.

jimjam
    Free Member

Two things about Bionicon that occur to me: They use their own proprietary shocks and forks, which do as much or more than other forks and shocks from companies who only make forks and shocks. This would make me suspect that their suspension will be lacking in performance, or reliability or both.

Secondly, their big selling point is the on the fly adjustability. That still doesn’t get around componentry issues. To make the most of a 180mm bike you’ll still want dh wheels and two ply sticky rubber, which will still be a pig to winch up the hill. A tiny bit less of a pig than a bike that just has an adjustable fork but still a pig. It’s still a compromise like every other do it all bike.

HansRey

i remember reading about a guy who biked up a mountain and then down, on the same bike. He chose a bionicon because he’d need to make big geometry changes on the way.

I’d guess with enough money, you’d get the weight down. I ride my 40+lb quake round the peaks easily, tho i’m never first.

Militant_biker

I have a 09 Bionicon Ironwood. It was fitted with an XC X-Fusion air shock rather than the proper beefy air shock it was supposed to have. Shock went bang in the Alps last year and I needed to do a bodge with a 2nd hand Fox shock and leave the fork at full length. Roger got the shock replaced no problem. I have to calibrate mine a fair bit. Whenever the suspension is a bit ‘off’ – topping out, not adjusting properly, a quick calibrate sorts it. It takes a few seconds, assuming the air pressure is still correct.

I’ve ridden mine through the Lakes, Peaks, Alps and plenty of Tweed Valley stuff. The difference in the angles is really noticeable – the Ironwood drops something like 4″ at the front – not sure in real terms what the rear end goes up by. I find that I really notice the weight – because it climbs so well. Previously I had a Giant AC (6.6″) with 7″ Boxxers. As the angles were so slack it was an arse to get up a hill, so the weight was just an additional issue. With the Bionicon, I notice the weight being the limiting factor.

I love it.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a Golden Willow for the last 2 years and LOVE IT!
    Prior to it I had an 07 Spesh Stumpy which, if I’m honest was as much bike as I needed however one demo day at Laggan had me wanting the Bionicon.
    I read about the ‘magic button’ and thought it a bit of a gimmick however I was proved wrong on my first ride.

They use their own proprietary shocks and forks, which do as much or more than other forks and shocks from companies who only make forks and shocks. This would make me suspect that their suspension will be lacking in performance, or reliability or both.

I thought that too and that’s where my apprehensions lay but decided to buy anyway. Fortunately the system has proved to be very reliable with only one fault occurring in all the time and miles I’ve put on it. It was resolved by Squarewheels swiftly and cheaply (required new top cap with the valve control.) It is also very easy to maintain despite sounding quite complex.
    I find the button and geometry change as good as another gear but you really do need to have a test ride to fully appreciate the system and find out if it’s something you could live with.
    I have tested all kinds of blingy and exotic kit (Mojo, 5spot) with the look to replace it (only ‘cos I like new stuff and spending money) but I’ve yet to find anything I like to ride as much. The closest I’ve come to it was a Stumpy Evo but it was nowhere near as good on the ups.
    I would happily buy another one but don’t see me needing to anytime soon. Steve at Squarewheels has the Scandium framed version that he’s run for ages, loans out and uses as a demo (so it’s very well used and abused) and he commented the last time I saw him at the ‘Puffer that he finds himself in a similar position to me.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I should have added, the guy I was speaking of above had a Golden Willow before it, had no problems and loved it.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I have a spicy 516 at the moment and it keeps crossing my mind to change it, dont know why because it suits my riding very well.

So don’t.

You’ve already got an amazing bike that you admit suits your riding, why not resist the temptation of shiny new things and spend the money on a riding trip instead.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bionicon alva 180 air’ is closed to new replies.