Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Binoculars what do the numbers mean? £100
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Can someone explain ??

Want for long distance, views mountains out to sea etc, don’t want a massive pair.

Better to buy 2nd hand ?? Any recommendations??

Thanks in advance

cynic-al
    Free Member

A x B

A magnification

But lens size – bigger means better in low light (moreso with bigger A)

flashinthepan
    Free Member

As cynic-al says

For long distance use you’ll need a large first number (say 10)

The second number is the diameter (mm) of the ‘bottom’ lens. The bigger it is the more light you’ll capture, but the bigger they’ll be.10×50 would be probably be best for your use – but they won’t be small. 10×40 obviously smaller and should be okay

Naval binoculars are usually 12/15 (even 20) X 60/75 but they’ll be mahoooosive

CountZero

First number is magnification, second is the diameter of the front lens. Greater the magnification and larger the object lens narrower the field of view in degrees and greater the problem with holding the glasses still.
    If you hold a pair up and look at the eyepiece, you’ll see a dot of light, the bigger this is, the more light the glasses allow through, making them better for low light use. 10×50 = 50 ÷ 10 = 5mm diameter exit pupil, making them the optimum size for general use, but it does make them fairly heavy, 8×42 or 8×32 are probably the best all-round, 10×40 slightly lighter than 10×50, 10×32 less useful in dim light, 32 ÷ 10 = 3.2, etc.
    The likes of the RSPB have days at wildlife reserves where you get the chance to try a large range of binoculars and telescopes, possibly worth checking out.
    My pair are 8×32’s, which are small enough to stick in a large jacket pocket, are light enough to carry round my neck all day without getting uncomfortable and are probably the best size for all-round use.
    But worth going to a good dealer and trying, rather than just buying a cheap pair from t’interwebz; quality can be really variable, and £150 is a good starting point.

chickenman

Something like a Nikon Travelite VI which you can get online for that. 9×25 which means 9x magnification (shouldn’t wobble too much when you look through them) x 25 front lens (objective lens); not very big but will let in enough light unless its very dull (small size of lens keeps the bulk and weight down).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Where are you based Geezer?
    Have a look on here for some new & used stuff…

http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/usedequipment.html

I’ve used them before for a decent spotting scope.

ahwiles
    Free Member

It’s a compromise.

High magnification sounds great, but as a guide, go much above 10 and you’ll need a tripod to keep the view steady. And you can end up concentrating on such a small area, that it can be hard to see what you’re looking at…

Big lenses sound great, but they’re heavy, and expensive.

As above, you won’t go far wrong with a pair of 9*25’s…

sweepy
    Free Member

I reckon the best all round is an 8×42 roof prism, Strathspey binoculars are worth looking at.

wilburt
    Free Member

10 x 25 from John Lewis.

Nikon £50
    Something German slighlty better £100

Fwiw I went for the Nikons and there good a year later.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Binoculars what do the numbers mean? £100’ is closed to new replies.