Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Binding headset query
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi guys I just bought a s/h frame with a 44mm head tube. It came with a hope bottom cup and an onza top cup which all look to be in good condition. The problem is when I install my forks and start to tighten the top cap to get rid of the play there doesn’t seem to be any appreciable difference between having said play and the headset binding. I managed to get it so close where the play was just gone and the bars turned lovely in the stand. First ride up the street and the bars started getting stiffer and stiffer to turn until it was dangerous. I know how the set up works and I’ve built 100’s of bikes but never had this issue before. The forks are also fine as I just stole them out of another bike to try the new frame. Any ideas? Cheers.

timba
    Free Member

Can you assemble the headset without the top bearing cover and test ride? The cover can bind on the top of the headtube. Add a shim if necessary
    Similarly, is the fork crown race binding on the lower cup/headtube?

twisty

If the top and bottom cups are not parallel to each other (not fully pressed on, or headtube not faced) then the headset will bind as the bars are rotated.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You have got the right crown race for the hope bottom cup ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

My first thought when you mentioned the mix and match approach was bearing seat angles. Do the crown race and tapered collet actually match the bearings they seat against?

andy4d

Another for checking the crown race. If you took the forks off another bike did you leave the race on from that bike?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes thanks guys I’ve realised I’ve got a Chris king crown race and a hope bottom cup so even though the bearing seats beautifully I have just ordered a hope one. See if that does it.

simondbarnes

Is it the conical spacer on the headset binding on the head tube? There are thin spacers available to stop this happening.

fd3chris
    Free Member

To be honest I do think it’s the top cup area that is binding. I’ve purchased a new crown race and a nuke proof complete top cup so maybe I will have it sorted. Thanks for the advice guys.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Just to let anyone know if it happens to them. It was indeed the crown race, even though the bearing looked perfect on it obviously wasn’t.i just fitted a hope crown race in place of the ck one and it worked instantly. Thanks guys.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Binding headset query’ is closed to new replies.