Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Bin Laden has won…
  • Jamie
    Free Member

…as they took Richard Dawkin’s honey 😡

World famous English ethologist, evolutionary biologist and unrelenting critic of religion and the religious, Richard Dawkins, has turned his anger on airport security rules after he had a jar of honey confiscated…..[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bin-laden-has-won-they-confiscated-my-honey-outspoken-academic-richard-dawkins-in-airline-security-twitter-row-over-jar-of-honey-8919618.html]cont[/url]

miketually
    Free Member

I think he might be losing it a little.

wwaswas

Yesterday’s twitter storm still raging then?

grum
    Free Member

Really puts molgrips’ lunch expenses woes into perspective doesn’t it.

fasthaggis

It was probably a jar of very rare ,Manuka super cure honey.

🙂

bruneep

Who?

Jamie
    Free Member

Yesterday’s twitter storm still raging then?

Alas, we cannot all be on the bleeding edge.

Who?

Richard Dawkins. HTH.

bearnecessities

Was it in date?

jodafett

It was probably a jar of very rare ,Manuka super cure honey.

Nectar Of The Gods 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

…There was little sympathy today in response to the tweets regarding the confiscated honey.

Shocker.

thewanderer
    Free Member

But he is right.. We have fundamentally changed our way of living, wasted a huge amount of resource and increased the risk of terrorism thanks to Bin Laden and the US response to his attacks.

wwaswas

He does have a point – the nett amount of ‘terror’ in the world population has increased dramatically in the last 10 or so years.

The response to people’s concerns by governments is sometimes arbitrary and disproportionate.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Oh bee have.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The 9/11 attacks were an atrocity, and it is difficult to imagine any objective the achievement of which would have justified them.

But if it was just to do with making sure Dawkins couldn’t transport jars of honey in his cabin baggage that makes them even more deranged. The mind boggles.

DezB
    Free Member

Was it runny or set?

thewanderer
    Free Member

The objective of 9/11 was to terrorise.

Bin Laden succeeded.

The western governments have responded disproportionately (there are many more pressing issues that the world faces) – an example of this disproportionate response is that we now follow ridiculous rules at airport security.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Wonder if he called the security staff ‘rule bound dundridges’ to their faces? You can almost hear the snap of the rubber gloves 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

You can almost hear the snap of the rubber gloves

They would have probably used the honey as lube…

bearnecessities

Oh bee have

Oh bee hive?

allthegear
    Free Member

I suggest he writes a tweet threatening to blow up the airport. That’ll teach ’em…

Rachel

lilchris
    Free Member

Oh bee have

Oh bee hive?Way to take the sting out of it!

Jamie
    Free Member

Surprisingly, there is nothing on Buzzfeed about it yet.

penguinni

God moves in mysterious ways indeed.

tomhoward

I’d have told them to buzz off.

Right after I’d got my coat.

5thElefant
    Free Member

He’s right. I can’t be arsed with flying anymore because of all the hassle, and I certainly won’t go to the US again.

grum
    Free Member

As with many things he says, he is kind of right but you don’t want to agree with him because he comes across as so shrill and pompous.

There was a good article about ‘security theatre’ I saw a while ago but I can’t remember where.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Fair enough, aspects of flying, etc, can be a pain, and if I’d have been in his position I’d have had a whinge about it, but tweeting it just made him look like a sanctimonious git. You may be an intelligent bloke Dawkins, but FFS get some perspective. 🙄

Northwind

That’s an apollen story.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I very nearly got taken into a side room (at an airport) by a angry looking bloke who had a big gun and a pair of rubber gloves.

Apparently malt loaf looks an awful lot like plastic explosives in an x-ray!

We all laughed about it in the end.

footflaps

I think he might be losing it a little.

No he completely lost it many years ago.

I used to be an Atheist, but he converted me to Agnosticism, as I didn’t want to be associated with his deranged ranting….

maccruiskeen

To be fair – if Bin Laden has been a bit clearer about his objective in the first place- to deny proselytising born-again atheists something sticky and sweet to spread on their toast – this hole business sordid business would have been done and dusted years ago.

Speeder

Security theatre is right – it’s all about being seen to be doing something rather than being effective. He’s absolutely right that it’s ridiculous and disproportionate but I don’t think he’s done himself any favours due to the petty nature of his “incident”.

fasthaggis

Trust the media to swarm all over a story that is sweet and sticky.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

But he is right.. We have fundamentally changed our way of living, wasted a huge amount of resource and increased the risk of terrorism thanks to Bin Laden and the US response to his attacks.

Indeed, and it’s particularly grating because pre the Twin Towers attacks, the US was seen as the week link airport security wise worldwide, and absolutely refused to change their ways to bring themselves inline with international standards. They didn’t want their passengers inconvenienced.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I used to be an Atheist, but he converted me to Agnosticism, as I didn’t want to be associated with his deranged ranting….

Was their a particular rant you can point me to that earns that ‘deranged’ honour?

grum
    Free Member

Was their a particular rant you can point me to that earns that ‘deranged’ honour?

The whole of The God Delusion perhaps?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The objective of 9/11 was to terrorise.

Bin Laden succeeded.

I’m not sure that’s correct. The 11/9 attacks were merely what was threatened many years previously if the US didn’t stop melding in the Middle East illegally. The loss of TWA800 was originally thought to be the promised attack, until it transpired that it was merely an accident. As I’ve said (countless times before) one of the TWA800 documentaries that was on actually has the warning from Bin Laden in it. The TWA800 accident was in 1996, so obviously the warning pre-dated this.

mogrim

Security theatre is right – it’s all about being seen to be doing something rather than being effective. He’s absolutely right that it’s ridiculous and disproportionate but I don’t think he’s done himself any favours due to the petty nature of his “incident”.

Surely that was the whole point, though? When something as small and insignificant as a pot of honey is seen as a threat you know that the terrorists have won?

thewanderer
    Free Member

Terrorism is basically a big PR stunt. Look at me I’m so bad I did….

Success is having your target react in such a way your notoriety gains you influence and power.

The TSA, amongst others are still providing the Bin Laden / terrorist brand with this.

He won.

Bloody waste of my time while travelling and my hard earned tax money.

Yep. Gotta say . Dawkins does come off as a bit of a loon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Bin Laden has won…’ is closed to new replies.