Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Billy Brag John Peel Lecture (was 'radio progs for an ageing John Peel fan')
  • ackie
    Free Member

Billy Bragg did the John Peel lecture today..excellent I thought.

Twas very interesting what he had to say on the likes of itunes and spotify.
    And how it doesn’t really promote new music, basically just suggest something similar.

Unlike Peel’s shows on which he would play Dutch hardcore, next to finnish heavy metal next to whimsical indie next to the Bhundu boys. You might not like it 99% of it but it was always interesting and he gave even the most outsider music airtime.

I used to make mixtapes from Peel shows, only picking the the tracks I liked. I listened back to them recently and there are fragments of tracks, peels voice, radio static of tracks I didn’t like, inbetween the tracks I recorded in full and those moments are actually more interesting.

Anyway I digress….

Most users/listeners on Spotify only listen to what they’re into in there formative years and rarely explore new music and as good as 6 music is, (freak zone, mark radcliffe, tom ravenscroft less so) it’s all still genre programming.

DezB
    Free Member

What’s the question?
    Yeah, most people lose interest in discovering new stuff, listening to stuff that challenges, not those same old guitar sounds.
    I don’t, I know a few others too, always exploring – its a great time for it. Get on Bandcamp and find lots of new things. Nothing is spoonfed anymore.
    Have been extremely disappointed anytime I’ve caught 6Music.

ackie
    Free Member

Original question was ‘recommend me a radio station for someone with grew up listening to John Peel’.

6 music always gives me what I want (unless it’s craig charles trunk of cr@*k).
    Radcliffe = obscure post punk, rough trade indie
    Freak Zone = Prog, Prog norweigian ambient jazz, prog and old PSA nostalgia
    Huey = ACDC, early hip hop.

etctectc

But not necessarily what I need. Which is insane musical juxtapositions of stuff I’ve never heard of.

ackie
    Free Member

Nothing is spoonfed anymore

Just my kids.
    Which explains why have the time or money to discover new music.

Swelper
    Free Member

That was exactly Billy Brags point, you need to look for alternative Radio / sites etc to find such music. Its all there, just need to find it. I prefer it that way as keeps it away from mainstream media, and generally thats where the raw creative music is.

Just because its not in the public mainstream does not mean its not there. As Billy Brag mentioned at the end of his lecture there are a number of radio stations (whom he named) who are dedicated to promoting new talent

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I’d suggest that the yin to the yang is Youtube

Its recently taken me everywhere from Afrikaans Zef style hardcore rap to creole Jazz

konabunny
    Free Member

Isn’t the bigger problem that John Peel was Savile-esque? Like – wrote or admitted to being fellated by minors?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216453/John-Peel-got-pregnant-I-15-Woman-claims-month-affair-DJ.html
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/oct/12/jimmy-savile-john-peel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back on topic…

I use spotify and have heard more new music through it than before I used it. The radio is good as are the suggested playlists etc. I get the triple j ones with feature albums new tracks and playlists updated weekly. Just hit that when I just want music.

meehaja
    Free Member

I tend to use spotify and then look through the bands on that particular artists ‘radio’. Its interesting to here bands that i like’s influences.

Also, youtube as stated above takes me on some weird musical journeys!

DavidB
    Free Member

I asked the original question. Basically, I don’t want to go searching I want to be fed loads of different types of music and find the occasional blinder. My tastes vary so wildly from death metal to Welsh male voice choir (that may be an exaggeration). Looks like the answer is Radio 6 ..and some sort of DAB thingy for the car.

Swelper
    Free Member

Amazing FM

Try this station, as mentioned by Mr Brag himself

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Billy Brag John Peel Lecture (was 'radio progs for an ageing John Peel fan')’ is closed to new replies.