Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Billion ipac 7800n router – problems / fix?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Blwdy teenagers 👿

Teenage son decided to pull a set of plugs out of the wall last night, one of which was power for our router…

No wifi and only intermittent LAN / internet this morning.

I know these were popular on here a number of years ago and wondered if any users had any suggestions??? Without the full manual to hand I can’t even get the local login IP…

TIA – heads off to hunt for manual and hunt down stupid son

scaredypants

I’ve nothing useful to offer, except a pdf of the manual if you can’t find one

scaredypants

oh, and at least in my house it’s 192.168.1.254

rkk01
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s consistent with online references…

It’s been a very good, rock solid and dependable router – much better than the Netgear one it replaced

Cougar

Without the full manual to hand I can’t even get the local login IP

Type ipconfig at a command prompt, the “Default gateway” will be the router IP.

scaredypants

Once you’re in, there’s a “quickstart” wizard that works OK IIRR

rkk01
    Free Member

No Default Gateway IP listed in ipconfig…

And the default BiPac IP won’t look up the router either (192.168..1.254 as per scardetpants, but also remembered by my own browser when I started to type)

I’m guessing the router may be borked – full reset, or failing that, what’s good in Routertrackworld…?

From my new phone handset, I gather 802.11n has now been superseded…

leffeboy

what was your own ip in ipconfig? If it starts 169 then the router may indeed be in need of a full reset. Otherwise if it starts 192 something then you might just need to guess what it is set to or use a program like ipscan to scan your network and see if it there

thejesmonddingo

Are you using cable or phone line?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Mine stopped working the other week. A factory reset and re-entering the Isp details fixed it.

rkk01
    Free Member

FTTC DSL line into a BT modem box, then EWAN connection to the BiPac. The router is actually showing green status lights for Internet and Wireless WPS, orange for EWAN and the two wired Ethernet ports that are in use…

Full reset uses the recessed rear panel button presumably?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Cougar

ICYMI,

leffeboy – Member
    what was your own ip in ipconfig?

rkk01
    Free Member

Which is the “home” IP…?

ipconfig is showing the correct router IP under Default Gateway and Windows is showing a local area connection.

Still can’t access the router config screen though.

The other IPs shown by ipconfig are IPv4 and subnet mask

Cougar

Ok. Mine looks like a bit this (I’ve fudged the addresses to be closer to your settings),

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

The IPv4 address is the address of your PC and the default gateway is the router address. The first three numbers (we call them “octets”) should be the same, the fourth will be different. If you’re seeing anything radically different, something is wrong here.

Typing the DG – 192.168.1.254 in your case presumably – into a web browser should take you to a config screen. Does it not?

leffeboy

while we are there the other thing you might want to do is to restart everything else that is on your network. If your router has been rebooted then it might start giving out addresses from the start of its range again but devices that haven’t been restarted might still have their ‘old’ address so you could have more than one device with the same address which can mess things up

…or I may just have told you to switch it off and on again 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

ipconfig settings are as stated above.

But the 192.168.1.254 won’t get me in to the router home / setup page, even after a full reset 🙁

So, assuming the worst, what would be worth looking at as a possible replacement???

leffeboy

If you have really reset your router and then unplugged the network connection from your laptop and plugged it in again (don’t miss that step) and you still see a gateway address of 192.168.1.254 then the router is definitely doing something as it is the router telling your computer the gateway address (unless you have a static setup in your computer).

In that case I would set a static address on your laptop to make sure that it isn’t that same address as anything else on your network (e.g. .199)

Sorry, don’t have a recommendation for a replacement though apart from avoid netgear

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Billion ipac 7800n router – problems / fix?’ is closed to new replies.