Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bilateral Hernia Surgery recovery time
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Hi all as above basically anyone had it done? Wondering how long I’ll have to get a lift to work as I normally cycle in and be off my MTB for?

bigdaddy

I’ll tell you on Friday – I have my pre-op assessment then! I have 2 hernias in my groin – when I first saw the surgeon he told me I would likely be off work a week and maybe off the bike 2 weeks as a rough estimate

turbo1397
    Free Member

I’ve had bi lateral.. got the procedure done keyhole. ‘General’ recovery was fairly quick considering. I was up and about after a few days. I had an ingruinal hernia about 4 years ago and had open surgery, that took me 4-6wks to get over.didnt rush any when I had the keyhole as everything looks as if it’s healing quickly from the outside but it’s the inside you need to worry about.

Sundayjumper

I had an inguinal hernia done in Aug ’14. Open surgery. Signed off work for two weeks which seemed about right. I could have got to work before that if it was absolutely necessary but there was no point risking it.

I was off the bike for quite a while. I just didn’t feel like it. YMMV on that front but I’d say at least a month.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Great thanks guys shall alert work! Sorry just realized I’d posted this in the Bike forum…

thorpie
    Free Member

I had one done in April last year, was off work for 8 weeks (inguinal hernia, keyhole surgery). Fine after that, doing everything as normal all the way up to Christmas but now its back! Going for a scan Feb 5th.

mlke
    Free Member

Definitely don’t rush back to biking or any strenuous activity as you can cause damage to end up with uncomfortable scar tissue / repeat proceedure.

Blacksmith
    Free Member

Inguinal with open surgery. As above, within 2 weeks, I had recovered most of my mobility and was back on the bike after 7 weeks. Timed it to have it done early December and fully recovered for work in January ’15

Joe

It depends if they put a mesh in or not. If you have a mesh it will take a lot longer to get back on your feet, otherwise the recovery time is as little as a couple of days.

I just had a large hernia repaired in my stomach, and its taken me nearly two months to get back to work.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

8 weeks with mine before I went back to work (Nursing home job at the time) riding motorbike at week 6. Mtb not long after. Two weeks on strong pain killers.

woody21
    Free Member

I had a double inguinal hernia repair – off work for two weeks. Dr told me that cycling was beneficial as it strengthened the muscles. Also had a spigellian hernia (apparently quite a rarity) again off for two weeks. Both laposcophic ops.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Had an open surgery, inguinal hernia repair yesterday afternoon. It’s not particularly painful at the site of the wound, but the muscles around my stomach and my right nacker are a different story.

I’ve planned an easy 10K training plan for 4 weeks time, and I plan on being as sensible as I can before then and not giving in to temptation to start early.

As an aside, my phone autocorrected ‘inguinal hernia repair’ with inhuman hernia repair, which is more accurate:)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bilateral Hernia Surgery recovery time’ is closed to new replies.