Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Biks-Discount.de – No GBP
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can see this one being a future internet/international retailing case study:

“Anti – competitive move in domestic market results in accidental Eurozone based outlet”

CRC is in NI, Wiggle is in Portsmouth, unless the reunification of Ireland is seriously on the cards (it may be, but Scotland is more likely and far from certain), then neither is in the EU/Eurozone if we leave.

Which in itself could be a problem as I guess their expansion plans are more international than domestic.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not this rubbish again, the UK manufactures plenty of stuff

Hardly plenty is it, otherwise we’d have a trade surplus from selling all the stuff we manufacture rather than buying loads in.

I’d also lay good odds (though I lack any actual numbers so appreciate this is worth about as much as £350m/wk) that the UK assembles a lot of stuff but manufactures a relatively small amount.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@atlaz if we don’t have a free trade deal hmrc will charge import duty and vat which we in the uk will collect. If that makes uk sellers more attractive thats excellent news, if we have a deal then we charge as agreed

antigee

Wiggle HQ Portsmouth – distribution now in the midlands? Blexit ?

No idea if unification seriously on the cards – some would like to exploit no doubt

wwaswas

If that makes uk sellers more attractive thats excellent news

and if it doesn’t?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If that makes uk sellers more attractive thats excellent news

and if it doesn’t?

Well it does, it’ll make Formula, Chris king, DT etc hubs more expensive, making Hope look better value.

I’ve no idea if the two are actually linked, but last time bike component prices skyrocketed Hope started making seatposts, cranks, wheelsets, stems, etc, so I imagine they were doing well.

philxx1975
    Free Member

im pretty sure if the british stop buying from them say…and use their local shop CRC etc they will put GBP back up, its a good way to say

Well it does, it’ll make Formula, Chris king, DT etc hubs more expensive, making Hope look better value.

Buy british

rone

With any luck after Leave we’ll be able to properly tax these offshire sellers which undermine our uk sellers via tax dodges allowed under EU law

As per Atlaz …

Explain this in the context of bikediscount, bike24 etc?

if we don’t have a free trade deal hmrc will charge import duty and vat which we in the uk will collect. If that makes uk sellers more attractive thats excellent news, if we have a deal then we charge as agreed

More bureaucracy and taxes? Isn’t that the very thing you want to move away from?

BoardinBob

Panic not. Example:

Pike RCT 3 = £656 at Merlin

Pike RCT 3 = €704 at Bike Discount which even at today’s crap FX rate is still £584

atlaz
    Free Member

charge import duty and vat

For the hard of understanding, online sales already require VAT to be charged at the rate of the place of delivery (or of service) and that VAT is sent to the country of record. So a UK customer buys from my company in Luxembourg and we pay the UK VAT value to the UK (well, to an EU body who distribute it).

Please, learn something before running off at the mouth.

My bike cost me £2936 from Germany 2 months ago

Today, it would cost me £3051

£115 (3.9% increase) isn’t exactly small change, but it’s hardly as if the pound has crashed to worthless values is it?

Dickyboy

Pondering & keeping my fingers crossed that Rosebikes will deliver the rims I actually ordered rather than refunding* me after sending the wrong ones pre referendum

* will probably take a small hit on any refund I guess

kelvin

Enjoying the battle of “common sense” against “knowing how the world actually works”.

We need more of that.

nick1962
    Free Member

Why are Sram and Shimano goods on the whole cheaper in Germany than the UK when they are American and Japanese companies? How does that fit into the Brexit argument if at all?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Already spoken to Rose re price hikes to cover this debacle, and they said nothing in the immediate future – if the pound goes into free-fall long term then it’s likely to be reviewed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I thought bike-discount payment was in Euros anyway, regardless of the price displayed?

Seem to remember it was, and Alltricks in France was similar.

Even if not, I’d favour paying in Euros with a decent low fee credit card (or one with no fees but then they put it on the rate instead).

Better still, if you’ve got Euros sitting around in a Euro paypal account, pay with that. No fees. But don’t load up Euros from Sterling if you haven’t got any in there as it’ll cost a fortune in fees/rate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nick1962 – Member
    Why are Sram and Shimano goods on the whole cheaper in Germany than the UK when they are American and Japanese companies? How does that fit into the Brexit argument if at all?

Few things going on…
    Pound/Euro/Yen/dollar rates – depending on when you order and pay for your consignment will tell you what it’s worth. A shift after that can make one of the markets seem cheaper that year.
    OEM stock – stuff sold at a discount to bike builders for fitting to new bikes that is not intended for the retail market (IE you sell a groupset to somebody and you have in theory a couple of mechs and cassettes out of them at RRP so worth the investment to get your group out there)
    Good business practice and having the right cost structure in place to exploit that.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Biks-Discount.de – No GBP’ is closed to new replies.