Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Biking v trail running?
  • spando
    Free Member

Lately i seem to be loosing my biking mojo, don’t get me wrong I still enjoy biking. I just seem to be getting more of a buzz from trail running and marvel at the simplicity and flow of running. Free from gears, suspension, tyre choice, and of course the ever upward ££££ of biking related stuff.

Anyone else experienced this and did you come back to loving biking again?

cp

Free from gears, suspension, tyre choice, and of course the ever upward ££££ of biking related stuff.

What you need is a rigid singlespeed mtb with horiz dropouts & nuts to make tyre changes too much of a faff to bother with. One fell swoop sorts out your needs.

In all honesty, a variety of bikes does keep the interest going – every ride is a bit different.

You’ve obviously not got into trail running fully yet – there are shoes for every trail & condition 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

shoes, and clothes and gps/timing and intervals and hill sprints and races and and and

any passtime can become consuming of both time and money.

i like to run as it helps keep my leg muscles in balance preventing injuries.

spando
    Free Member

Oh yes the shoe thing is interesting but fairly inexpensive compared to biking related costs.

Am enjoying the new inov8 x talons, so much grip.

molgrips
    Free Member

Running and flow are exclusive concepts for me 🙂

zilog6128

I much prefer running to MTB when the trails are really muddy, and especially when it’s snowing. I run along the same trails I ride and it’s quite cool because you see the old familiar trails in a totally different way. That said it is not a patch on riding when it’s dry n dusty!

wwaswas

biggest problem I have with running is how long you can do it for.

I can go out 2 or 3 times a week and ride for 3 or 4 hours. Running I feel knackered if I do more than a few hours and seem much more prone to muscle injury.

So, I quite like running off road but I also like riding and I can experience it for probably 3 times as long so I tend to do more riding than running.

You also get less variation with running from home because your range is more limited than riding.

spacemonkey

I do both and enjoy them equally. Having the right trainers makes a big difference IMHO, especially if you have awkward pronation or similar.

Sometimes I’m in the mood to ride, other times I just want to run. Interval sessions are horrid with the latter though, as are intense hill climbing sessions – but still ultimately satisfying in a sadistic way.

spando
    Free Member

All good comments, yeh I love running the same trails I bike, it’s great fun. What i’m loving is how quickly the body adapts and if you keep at it your range soon builds up, i’m easily doing great mountain runs of 20 miles and recovering well and able to do a short run the following day. Just 1 year ago i’d have been burst for days after a 20 mile mountain run lol!
    True about injury though, I have to be really on top of stretching and core strength, let it slip and pain creeps in.

spacemonkey

You also get less variation with running from home because your range is more limited than riding.

Drive somewhere (if you have a car of course).

spando
    Free Member
    wwaswas

Drive somewhere (if you have a car of course).

If I wanted to drive somewhere to exercise I’d join a gym 😉

I will occasionally drive somewhere to ride (once every 2 or 3 months) but I tend to think that I’d rather spend the time riding or running than sat in the car.

zilog6128

mountain runs of 20 miles and recovering well and able to do a short run the following day

it’s possible that the short run is actually helping the recovery from the longer one, certainly I feel better for doing something at least the following day rather than just sitting around “resting”

spando
    Free Member

Was at 7 Stanes a few weeks ago but it took me 2 days to get into the riding, come day three at Kroughtree I was loving it. First time there and its a fantastic trail center the black route is probably the best trail center xc route I’ve ever done, just so much fun despite transmission wear related issues lol.

spando
    Free Member

it’s possible that the short run is actually helping the recovery from the longer one, certainly I feel better for doing something at least the following day rather than just sitting around “resting”

I think you are right, keep moving. It’s when you stop the problems seem to occur.

spando
    Free Member

Anyone been inspired by ultra running?

Did the Devil o the highlands this year and loved it.

Doing the Jedburugh ultra in oct too.

Really interested in the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc but thats on a whole different level to aspire to.

stever
    Free Member

I’ve always mixed both – low boredom threshold and easily distracted. I do like the lack of faff with running and it’s always been the quickest way of getting tired.
    …off for a run on the hill in a minute 🙂

kcal

there was a guy round our town did ultra running in a big way long ago (70s/80s/early 90s). He looks a wreck to be honest, not a good advert.
    🙁

100 miles at 6:54 pace apparently.

Don Ritchie – http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/donritchie/
    He doesn’t look like that now..

zilog6128

Personally I struggle to think of an endurance athlete who IMO looks healthy!

surfer
    Free Member

Mike Cudahy, first man to run the pennine way in under 3 days. Excellent read, wild trails to far horizons.

Personally I struggle to think of an endurance athlete who IMO looks healthy!

Although our perceptions have changed over the years. When I was a kid “you could play a tune on my ribs” as we used to say. All my mates where the same. Today anyone who looks fit and healthy in my view is “dangerously underweight” and obsessive etc. People tend to see “chubby” people as the norm and healthy.

mogrim

Really interested in the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc but thats on a whole different level to aspire to.

Not to mention the points you need just to be able to enter…

spando
    Free Member

Yeh the points would be easy enough though, WHW and devil would bag enough points I think.

nickc

Tend to run and bike, but gone the other way and fir the time being lost my running mojo. If I’m honest, I’m bored of it at the minute, mixture of buying new MTB, great trail conditions, and if not that then roadie with the missus. Running? Mleh don’t go fast enough, do go far enough for the same sort of effort

singlecrack
    Free Member

I had the same feeling all through the summer …didn’t do too much biking ..more trail running with the dog ….really enjoyed it ….kind of lost my biking mojo …

Happy to report it’s back now ….. I enjoyed the break though

andypaul99
    Free Member

Is that a collie retriver cross?

stever
    Free Member

Damn that was a good run! Though some clown had been down a lovely cheeky trail with their back wheel locked. More mess in one descent than I make doing loads of laps on my CX bike. And I got a strava CR (vain, me?).

surfer
    Free Member

I have a Lakeland terrier but she’s lazy. Considering another dog for company on runs, possibly a Cocker.

Another thread!

julioflo
    Free Member

OP same here. Have trail run way more than ridden over the past 18months.

Love the simplicity of heading out of the door with minimal kit and my dog. Getting all my biking gear together seems way more of a faff. I think the way I have been working and more demands on my time have played a big factor though.

I guess it helps living near good woodland and moorland.
    Still love riding, but that seems to be more of a ‘treat’ at the moment and if I can be bothered!

Bregante

I started doing a bit of trail running in January this year. Nothing like the terrain in your pics (which looks spectacular) and around an hour to an hour and a half is my max but I love it and have run a lot more than I have ridden this year. I love the simplicity too. Just the get out and go – ness of it but more importantly for me it’s the intensity of it. With young kids and a job with unpredictable hours it’s far easier to fit an hours run into the day than it is to get out on the bike.

Saying that I’ve a new found love for the mountain bike too so don’t give up hope just yet!

prawny

I might have to give this trail running lark a go. I don’t have a fat lot of time for MTB in the winter, takes to long to get a loop in before work in the dark. Might get a torch on me bonce and go for it.

highlandman
    Free Member

Spando, Mogrim- yes, a West Highland Way Race will get you 4 UTMB points so all you need is any other one event to ‘qualify’. More experience is good though and planning at least two or three seasons ahead for a challenge of that nature is essential and beware the ballot for places.
    A Cateran race gets you a couple more points and the Highland Fling is becoming very popular indeed. I’d respectfully suggest that a Cateran is better for experience building and although a similar length to the Fling, is a bit harder..
    There’s a wealth of info and medical advice on our website- westhighlandwayrace.org

Pieface

All the reasons you quoted in your original post are the reasons my bike riding has gone down. I’ve also discovered a whole new world out there. I am lucky to live on the doorstep of the Dark peak, which is great for MTB, but even better for running.

I’m also better competitively at running than biking.

njee20
    Free Member

The obvious problem here is that you refer to it (impressively regularly in your post) as “biking”, which for some reason always resonates with me as something non-cycling friends talk about.

spando
    Free Member

Is that a collie retriver cross?

Not sure as she is a friends dog not mine, but can go all day no problem.

Great to hear so many folk enjoying running, I’ve struggled to find a good running forum site, suppose my standards have been set high due to the great forum on here.

I have a Lakeland terrier but she’s lazy. Considering another dog for company on runs, possibly a Cocker.

Another thread!

Hmmm that would be a good thread, what dog for endurcnce, biking and running……..

The obvious problem here is that you refer to it (impressively regularly in your post) as “biking”, which for some reason always resonates with me as something non-cycling friends talk about.

Ha ha ha never new there was an etiquette of reference to our sport.

spando
    Free Member

Reference dogs, we have been thinking about getting one but i’m not sure what dog would suit us as we would like; small so it doesn’t take up too much space in the camper van. Able to come on long runs in the mountains, doesn’t shed too much hair, low maintenance regarding health and coat, good with young kids and non aggressive to other dogs and livestock.

I know moon on a stick, so we probably won’t bother lol would rather be responsible and not get one if its not gonna work out. Have plenty of experience with having dogs as a kid so no stranger to it just want to do it right or not at all…..

piemonster

and of course the ever upward ££££

May I introduce you to http://www.haglofs.com/ 😀

piemonster

Active recovery, works wonders for me.

spando
    Free Member

highlandman, thanks for the advice, UTMB would be a 4-5 years away for me. As you said its good to get a real grounding and experience before tackling UTMB as i’d want to enjoy it not just survive.
    I’ll be looking to be doing my fist WHW probably 2015, this year and next will just be 30 – 50 mile events. I’ve heard great things about the Cateran trail.

piemonster

Quite a it of Tarmac involved in Jedburgh by the way. Unless its very wet go with road shoes.

spando
    Free Member

May I introduce you to http://www.haglofs.com/

Yeh i got a Haglofs gram 7 pack, won it in a MTB race 8) and it’ll be the only bit of Haglofs i own. Unless of course its in the shape of a prize 😆

Sure thing, all sport/ hobbies have their exclusive brands. For me at the moment I suppose i’m frustrated with the cost of bike maintenance just to keep it going not even to make it better of fancy. Probably time to save up for a new bike me thinks.

Anyone for a worn out P7, worn out chain rings, Hope headset that has gone digital! Hope BB that competes with the free hub on the noise llevel! Wonky rear rotor, creaking shifters, torn saddle. Great XT brakes tough. Oh pawl springs corroded to nowt but fixed that as it cost only a few pence 😆

New thread what bike? Transition Bandit or Orange 5 and don’t even get started on wheel size 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Biking v trail running?’ is closed to new replies.