Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • biking USA holiday ideas
  • handyman
    Free Member

Am planning a 5 day break in USA, biking on my own, travelling indepently, and i was wondering if STW's out there had any ideas or had visited places in US. I am after xc and big mountain type trails based in one town etc thanks

NZCol

I was sitting on the pan reading the Oregon article and it piqued my interest – my fave things beer and riding.

bassspine
    Free Member

I've been to Big Bear in that California, loads of trails, oddly enough. Easily accessible from Los Angeles, about an hours drive. There's loads of cheap motels out of ski season.

I also did a bit of riding around Bend, Oregon. For my money Oregon beats California into a corner. Cooler weather, better mountains, cheaper. Friendlier locals, Deschutes brew pub in Bend. Crater Lake is AWESOME.

ampthill

I loved Colorado but I'd go for lower altitude for a short trip

ebygomm
    Free Member

crater lake is AWESOME

Agreed

The area round mammoth lake looked good for riding. Lots of buses with bike racks.

LHS
    Free Member

Colorado – Boulder, Crested Butte

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Whoop whoop fly out to colorado next Weds then thurs drive to Crested Butte for long weekend and who knows what other delights, Winter Park oh and I'l be gone for 2 weeks!!!!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Fly to Vegas, rent a car, drive up to Moab.

Stay somewhere with a hot tub – you'll need it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OMG that pic must have come out of MBUK 1992 edition???

bigdawg
    Free Member

scottsdale arizona – fantastic for mtb – theyve got a book full of fantastic routes, a lot taken fron the old (original) cactus cup races of the 90's

lardman
    Free Member

northern California has an amazing amount of trails, and some temperate weather to boot.
    Downieville, near Lake Tahoe is an incredible place to ride for both shuttle access and XC, and the Tahoe area in general has some great trails.

Mammoth, and the surrounding area is also worth a trip. In general there are some great rides in Northern California.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Moab looked fantastic, just a pity I never got to ride it!! 👿

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Oregon for me. Hood River area, Oakridge, Waldo Lake and Bend. Miles of natural singletrack. Very little development, feels like you are finding the trails for the first time.

Oakridge, Alpine trial

Waldo Lake

Like the state so much, I'm even considering a move out there.

Tahoe area pretty good too.

Tahoe, Christmas Trail

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Alpine Trail Oakridge

ianv
    Free Member

Winter park/Keystone, Colorado

namastebuzz
    Free Member

OMG that pic must have come out of MBUK 1992 edition???

HEY!!

I still wear that stuff – it hasn't gone out of fashion has it?

(Off to polish my Biopace chainset now 😯 )

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Whatever you do, don't come to Marin County. The bicycling laws are restrictive.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘biking USA holiday ideas’ is closed to new replies.