• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Biking & Other Activites in Somerset ~ What and Where?
  • P20

We off down to Somerset in a couple of weeks, staying in Watchet near Minehead. Neither myself or wor lass (ashat) are familiar with the area, but somewhere we really fancy visiting. Any recommendations for rides down that way would be great. GPX routes would be handy if anyone has them available.
    We’re also looking for other activites for the non biking days, walks,etc.
    Cheers guys 😉

Bucko

The Quantocks and Exmoor are very close to Minehead, I’m sure lots of people will be able to pass on some GPS routes but an Ordanance Survey map would be good enough if it came down to it.

Enjoy

Earl_Grey

If you like a walk the south west coast path starts at Minehead. I’m not sure that you will want to walk all 630 miles to Poole but there are some short walks which use parts of it:
    South West Coast Path

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Ride in the Quantocks or Exmoor with Sharki! Saves having a map or a gps!

wallop

Lynmouth is worth a little visit. Nice harbour, best fish and chips. Also Porlock Weir is nice. Go for a ride up Porlock Hill!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

My wife is from that part of the world, and we’re only 90 mins away so know it pretty well!

Great area for walking and biking as you’re slap between the Quantocks and Exmoor. From Minehead you’ve got direct access to some great trails / walks around North Hill, Bossington, Selworthy in one direction, and up above Dunster in the other. Both rideable from Watchet although I’d try and bypass the A39 if you can 😯

Quantocks are also within a very short drive – Staple Plain is a good kick off point. Get an OS map of the area and just make up your own routes, you won’t be disappointed.

Porlock and Porlock Weir are worth a visit – twee, but very pretty and quite interesting. Walk from Porlock to Culbone church in the woods is really nice.

Beaches aren’t great around Watchet / Minehead – still a bit murky from the estuary, but a drive down the A39 will get you to some lovely spots in North Devon (Woody Bay is nice for a dip).

The last bit of the drive down to Lynton / Lynmouth is particularly scenic and well worth doing on a nice day…. amazing views. The walk up to Watersmeet from Lynmouth is a really lovely stroll and you can extend it out onto the moor. Some good spots for river swimming further upstream.

Plenty of nice country pubs in the area too. Sure you’ll enjoy it.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Oh and Valley of the Rocks, just the other side of Lynton is worth a look as well…

P20

Cheers guys. Ahsat chose the location for it being between the Quantocks and Exmoor.

P20

Anyone else got any routes, etc?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Biking & Other Activites in Somerset ~ What and Where?’ is closed to new replies.