Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Biking on Harris
  • heebyjeeby

Fortunate enough to be heading up to Harris for a couple of weeks (staying on the campsite that was on "Build a New Life in the Country" last night!).
    I remember MBR doing a must ride route there, have the OS map, but cannot remember what/where the route was precisely……
    Any ideas anyone?
    Cheers

grumm
    Free Member

There are a couple of routes in a book I have somewhere (can't remember the name) – not done them. I have walked the old postal path to Rheinigidale (sp?) which is one of the routes and I reckon it would be pretty good.

Sorry for the vagueness 🙂 – Will try and dig out the book.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Route 1 – Head out of tarbert towards scalpay and then turn left up the track past loch laxadale, till you hit tarmac, then turn left and head up road climb toward rhenigadale, after a few miles you take a right turn off the road onto a track leading back to tarbert via loch trolmaraig(sp?)

sorry to be vague, but it's mega obvious on a 1:25000 map – south harris.

The other routes are a big circuit of an clisham, and the singletrack south west of tarbert, again, buy the 1:25000 map and look for the dotted lines, you can not go wrong.

Spend a few hours round at seilebost beach, amazing.

if you email me on greg DOT bowie AT gmail DOT com, i'll give you my mobile number, call me and I'll talk you through it with a map in front of you.

Been about a lot of Scotland on my bike, but Harris is my favourite, just so atmospheric, remote and absolutely awesome singletrack.

heebyjeeby

Thanks folks…..
    nobeerinthefridge YGM – OK to talk next week I am away all weekend?
    Scott

gusamc
    Free Member

Get OS 50,000
    track W then S on cart track
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=115403&y=900398&z=120&sv=115403,900398&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=701&ax=115403&ay=900398&lm=0

loop on this and further E, Tarbert as start
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=115403&y=900398&z=120&sv=115403,900398&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=701&ax=115403&ay=900398&lm=0
    I could find the loop to Molingeananis / shieling (this is the nobeer one)

Best I've done in uk (ride, scenery, feel etc), the pub up the road from the Hariis Hotel was better thabn the hotel.

gusamc
    Free Member

grr, what sorry links are rubbish, can I find out how to get it to show the page I want ….

1 – follow red rd N from tarbet till left < indent at water/jetty/Bagh Bhiogadal and dot track W then cart track S

2 – find tarbet and scroll E /N- which is nobeer loop,

sorry for

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I'm on nights next week, So anytime between 7pm and 10pm ( I start at 11pm)

heebyjeeby

Cool,
    Will speak to you next week then

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Biking on Harris’ is closed to new replies.