Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Biking on a tight budget – what next?
  • antoine
    Free Member

Right so I got a Boardman Pro 29er a couple of years ago on C2W scheme. Great bike, can’t fault it as long as it is used for it’s intended purpose. Problem is I’ve outgrown it and whislt it still fulfill my needs for commuting, it’s holding me back on the fun stuff. Great for XC not so great for hammering down steep trails mostly due to the steep head angle.

I’ve near enough maxed out on upgrades (for my budget!): better wheels (Easton XC70), better tyres (Maxxis High Roller 2, Ardent combo), dropper post, wider bars, shorter stem, bigger rotors…. I’m now contemplating upping the travel of the Rockshox Rebas to 120mm in one last ditch attempt to up it’s trail credential with bigger bump soaking ability and slackening the head angle a little even though it will raise the BB height in the process.

Am I kidding myself that it will make a blind bit of difference or should I just accept that until I manage to sell my kidneys on Ebay and buy a proper TR/AM bike I’m stuck with a ride that’s not quite good enough?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

On One parkwood frame £80, 120 mm forks (adjust rebas?)

jonba
    Free Member

Longer forks will adjust the head angle slightly they won’t turn it into a downhill machine.

FWIW a long time ago I had similar issues. I was riding a 456 with 100mm forks and struggling. I went and bought some 140mm revelations and it opened my eyes.

Now we the extra 40mm of travel and slacker angles, when I was at the top of a trail or looking at a drop I had the confidence to realize that it wasn’t the bike making a blind bit of difference it was my lack of skill as I still couldn’t ride stuff. Eventually I bought a stump FS and that did help. I’ve been back to some of those “impossible trails” 10 years later and ridden them on a rigid single speed.

Fatter tyres will give you more grip, wider bars and a shorter stem help you feel more in control. Otherwise I’d save your money and wait until you can afford a new bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What do you mean by steeper trails ? I would get out riding with some other people and see how they tackle more difficult terrain, I bet they could ride your bike down some pretty steep stuff. Its clearly not ideal for steeper more technical terrain and if you do want to switch given what you’ve spent you should consider putting most of your components on a frame / forks you pick up second hand.

antoine
    Free Member

Good point about the lack of skill being the limiting factor to be honest. AS much as a slacker bike would increase my confidence it still won’t be enough to magically turn me into Captain Trail Slayer.

Should probaly start by investing a little dosh in some skill coaching…. Any recommendations?

I like the look of the On One Parkwood frame. Cheap upgrade as most of the bits are trasnferrable from my current ride. Can’t seem to find any geometry details though?

chakaping
    Free Member

How tight is the budget then?

wicki
    Free Member

Took me a lot of money to learn you cant buy skillz. 😳

andyl
    Free Member

scroll down for geometry.

What headset and fork steerer does your bike have? You might be able to fit an anglest headset to slacken it up.

tbh I ride everything on my 29er scandal that i do on my 150mm travel C456 (26″). I might hit stuff slower on the scandal but that is because I trust it to over stuff slower.

If not then try the Parkwood. If you hate it you can sell it on.

and yes skills course. Hoping to do one this year but am working on my fitness first so I can get the most from it.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Fitting longer travel travel forks might also affect how the bike climbs.
    Am I right thinking that the Parkwood shares the geometry with the Titus Fireline?

antoine
    Free Member

Found the geometry and the Parkwood is 1 degree slacker than the Boardman (68 instead of 69 degrees).

An angled headset is out of the question because of the Boardy’s integrated design.

I could spend 80 quid, get the on one frame and play about with that… OR I could just spend a grand on a new bike…. but then why not get a Calibre Bossnut and be done with it?

I think I deffo need to get some professional coaching to take my riding to the next level and also before I end up hurting myself being a d1ck, hitting stuff that is out of my comfort zone. Maybe try Mr Oxley’s business venture although not sure I coudl take that beard seriously… 😉

sgn23
    Free Member

As others have said, the answer is an OO Parkwood frame and swap the bits over. Brilliant bike even if it were double the money. And at £80 in the 7 day sale you are stealing it off them. Dive in.

jonba
    Free Member

I actually have the Parkwood and really rate it. You’ll end up spending more than £80 though.

New headset, probably a new bottom bracket, cables, maybe a stem then there is always something else – seat clamp and post…

sgn23
    Free Member

On-one’s dynamic pricing strikes again… Parkwood’s now £120, still a good price though.

ampthill

Back in the day we all had the same head angle and rigid forks

So the marketing guys couldn’t persuade you it was the bike fault

I think your bike might limit your speed downhill in the rough. But I doupt it is stopping you ride terrain yet

Watching the olymics was interesting. Some one will be along to say that of course an XC course isn’t technical, but it didn’t look easy to me. All ridden with the saddle up. Mainly on hardtails

I’d try finding a group to ride with before paying for coaching

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t postpone the inevitable, just get the new bike now and enjoy it while the weather’s nice.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

but then why not get a Calibre Bossnut and be done with it?

It is a good weekend to get a Bossnut. 😉

15MAY2016 code reduces price to £850.

Use Quidco to reduce that further by 9%, or Topcashback for 7.7%.

Makes it <£800, do it, do it now (if a full sus is your thing)! 😯

jointhedotz
    Free Member

10% off all bikes at halfords too, Boardman Team FS for £899…..love mine so far

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Biking on a tight budget – what next?’ is closed to new replies.