Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Biking in Sardinia
  • zip
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2 week family holiday booked to north west sardinia in mid june and will be taking a bike. I can get info for mtb in the south/east parts of the country but none for the area between olbia and alghero which is where we will be staying. Maps show there seems to be suitable terrain there.

I will probably drive south east on a couple of days, but would ideally like to be able to ride more local. I have emailed a company based in olbia for info but no reply and the website read that they don’t do any guiding in June anyway.

Does anybody here have any experience of riding in this area? Is it fairly open access on the island with regard to trails? I don’t mind exploring but would prefer some routes or guiding to make the most of it.

Trimix
    Free Member

I go to Corsica a few times a year, which is very close. Basically you will find lots of double track all over the place. But stuff we would call singletrack is harder to find – the population is smaller so paths are used less. Also the undergrowth / rocks make a lot of it hike a bike.

It is pretty much open access, but its not like here in that respect. They do a lot of hunting for wild boar, so take that into consideration on the weekends – or you may get shot 🙂

However, there will be some, its finding it that is harder.

While in Corsica last December I bumped into Naomi who guides for Saddle Skedadle and they do MTB guiding and Roadie stuff in Sardinia.

Try speaking to them. She told me about some of the old mining tracks they are having a lot of fun on with their mountain bikes.

Oh and June will be bloody hot, almost too hot unless its early in the morning / late afternoon, or high up in the hills.

zip
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I’ve had the pleasure of being chased by dogs under gun shots in Spain! Pedalled like a maniac to get out.

I’ll try skedaddle. Might just take the road bike if I can’t get any pointers for decent trails.

Corsica is also on the holiday list while the kids are young, (flight time).

Trimix
    Free Member

For road biking both are brilliant.

I took my Brother-In-Law to Corsica over Xmas, he’s a proper Rapher fanboy and he said it was the best road biking he’s ever done.

DavidB
    Free Member

This is what you need

I’ve ridden a fair bit in the area, contact Peter at the Lemon House for more info as he wrote the guide and may be able to help. I’ve ridden a bit in the area on and off road. It ain’t Glentress but it is epic.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

You’d mad, i found laying on the beach tiring!

honeybadgerx

We spent a week at the Lemon House in September, stunning part of the world, and once you head inland you’ll be surprised how wild and mountainous it becomes. Sadly Peter & Anne are selling up, but I’m sure if you contact him he’d be happy to send you some gpx files. On that note, once you head away from the coastline, especially in the less touristy areas, civilisation does start to take a leave of absence, the rural communities and farmers/shepherds are incredibly poor. That said, they are also very friendly and whenever we bumped into hunting parties we always gave and received a friendly smile/wave. Also bear in mind that a lot of the routes are barely more than hunter’s tracks and mapping can be very poor – we took a GPS and were very grateful for it. That time of year will also be very hot, so I;d suggest you head out early!

IF you want any more specifics let em know and I’ll see what I can remember, some superb riding out there though, often without seeing another soul all day!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Biking in Sardinia’ is closed to new replies.