Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Biking in Positano
  • saxabar
    Free Member

Anyone ridden out there, know where to hire from and/or ideas on routes? Tips from the hive mind appreciated!

alibongo001

2 words Bl**dy steep!

Not sure if you have been, but my recollection is that Positano is one of the most vertical towns I have ever been to.

Beautiful, but not sure it would be the first place I would be looking to cycle in.

I hope a more helpful answer comes along in a minute!

Cheer
    Al.

saxabar
    Free Member

Ha, no, not yet – I’m heading out tomorrow.

damo2576
    Free Member

Yeah, I think focus on restaurants not bikes!

Bloody steep, narrow, blind etc, crazy drivers!

TooTall
    Free Member

It isn’t a cycling destination. I’d really not suggest riding a bike anywhere South of Naples if you don’t know the roads very well. It is ‘full contact driving’ down there and local rules only apply.

Basil

Don’t cycle anywhere on the Amelphi coast.We found travelling in a car driven by a local potentially lethal on a minute by minute basis.
    Prospect of playing head on chicken with these folk would not be my idea of fun!

flap_jack
    Free Member

What Basil says. Terrifying in anything smaller than a bus. As far as driving is concerned, southern Italy is third world.

monkeyboyjc

2 words Bl**dy steep!

^^ THIS 😯
    you’d be better off with a trials bike…
    also, go by bus every where – about 2% of the cost of the water taxi’s….

saxabar
    Free Member

Well, a consensus seems to have been reached on STW. No cycling it is for five days then. Any good tips on things to do? I’m heading out there with the SO’s family so it isn’t a break I’ve done much planning for!

heihei

Plenty of cracking walking to be done, including climbing the highest peak on the peninsular which is about the same height as Ben Nevis and gives awesome views of Naples etc. There’s a sunflower guide which gives some great routes. Loads of steps on the trails which rule out biking.
    Trip to Capri is worthwhile but leave the credit card at home as full of bling shops.

monkeyboyjc

def would recomend a trip to Capri – just dont get lost befor the ferry leaves.
    the ‘blue lagoon’ is quite a good relatively inexpensive afternoon, with a boat trip into a cave with some cool light properties.
    Try to do a day trip to Pompei(sp?), but dont do a tour – take your time and make your own way around.
    Personally wouldnt bother with going up Versuvious (again sp?) – its just a big hole in the ground with not much to see.
    throw in some trips to the other Amalfi villages like a trip to Maiori – lovely town/village down the coast – with a good church to look around.

Other than that just do the beach and have a good time…..
    Oh and enjoy the food (i hope you like sea food, pizza and mozzarella)

saxabar
    Free Member

Great stuff – thanks.

damo2576
    Free Member

Depending on £ – private little boat trip to Capri. Pretty special along the coast there and something you’d all remember. If you don’t fancy Capri just do the trip along the coast to one of the restaurants you can moor at. Hotel will be able to arrange stuff like that. Is quite expensive but my fondest memories of times there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Biking in Positano’ is closed to new replies.