Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Biking in Morzine…when the lifts don't work?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

So myself and 3 of the boys have come out for a short break in Morzine, only to find that the Pleney Bubble lift has broken down. You can still get to the top in the emergency cablecar, but given it only takes 5 folks the ques are about 40 minutes long, so not feasible to do any of the runs given the long waiting times

Been over to Les Gets for the last 2 days, however any suggestions on any other options given the runs we have available to us have pretty much been halved?

And for anyone else out here at the mo, have you heard when it might be moving again? We were told it would be today, but clearly not…:-(

weeksy

you see them things that stick out of the side…. yeah… pedals… when you move them, the bike rolls forward…

The more you move them… the more it rolls..

enjoy 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Do you have a car ? Are the lifts in the other PDS resorts open yet, Avoriaz/Chatel/Champery, even if the links aren’t open you could drive round. There is lots of riding in Les Gets, certainly more than 2 days worth.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Bottom of morzine by the bridge that goes over the valley super morzine lift .
    Take that than the next one get up to the top head right and follow your nose it’s pretty easy .
    Heads to the Chatel side …much better than Morzine IME

tpbiker
    Free Member

No car unfortunately…

Weeksy, thanks for your post, really useful

weeksy

Hahahahaha. You grumpy sod… lighten up… we’re all at work and you’re in Morzine… enjoy

flyingmonkeycorps

Wot Singlecrack said is good in theory, except the Chatel and Avoriaz lifts aren’t open yet. Basically you’re stuck to Morzine and Les Gets… But there are runs down from both sides of Morzine AND Les Gets, the Les Gets jump park… Should be enough for a few days.

geetee1972
    Free Member

you see them things that stick out of the side…. yeah… pedals… when you move them, the bike rolls forward…

Spot the guy whose never been to the alps! 😆

But seriously, without a car you’re a bit buggered really.

Is the Mont Cherry lift in Les Gets open yet? You see this is the problem with going early in the season; you avoid the crowds but there is precious little access. You’ll have to take the emergency lift to the top of the Plenny to get there but there are loads of trails in Les Gets to ride.

Have you found Canyon yet, about a third of the way down the motorway from the top of Les Gets you scoot off down the road to the right and there are a bunch of really good trails in the forest on the left.

weeksy

Spot the guy whose never been to the alps

Correct 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Correct

I’m glad you took that comment with good humor! I thought you’re original comment was also pretty funny unlike being stuck in Morzine with only a DH bike and no bloody uplift!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tp – do what @geetee says, Canyon is one of my favourite runs. If Mont Chery is open ride over to Mont Caly and have a great lunch in little restaurant there, then pootle back to Morzine or Red/Blue or fly down black to Les Gets.

Also consider renting a car or getting a taxi/bus uplift somewhere.

FWIW this is one of the reasons I like to drive down, many more options.

tollah
    Free Member

Last year my mate rode up from the lift station above Chatel to the top above les Linderets and beat us, we took the lift!

tollah
    Free Member

Sorry not that helpful I know but looks like you’ve only got Les Gets as the rest of the lifts open next weekend iirc?

saxabar
    Free Member

If I recollect, it’s only a half-hour or so flattish pedal around to Les Gets by road isn’t it?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

What’s the weather like out there? I’ve been checking the PDS webcam at the top of Mossettes (to make myself feel better about not going out there this year TBH), and it looks pretty grim over that side.

tomaso
    Free Member

You can pedal to Les Gets easy enough, I did it when I missed the last lift back when doing the Portes du Soliel. Pop some extra air pressure in before you set off and enjoy your holiday. Its raining here by the way and the ski lifts aren’t working wither.

alexxx
    Free Member

wrong saxbar its mostly uphill and on heavyish bikes would take closer to an hour of graft

tpbiker
    Free Member

We can get to Le Gets via going up the Pleny Telecabin. Fine to que once a day, but not ideal doing it all day.

Found the canyon, really good. Weather is ace today, although was thundering last night really badly

tomaso
    Free Member

Its never an hour, we did it on dual ply sticky tyres at the end of a full days riding – MTFU :mrgreen:

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Explore. There must be 7 or 8 trails down the main Les Gets line if you look hard enough.

Likewise at the top of Super Morzine & the Zore lift (not sure if open) it’s littered with trails.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is renting a car an option ? Can you get a bus up to Avoriaz ?

Try calling SkiBlueRidge in Les Gets and see if they can sort you an unofficial uplift in their mini-buses

saxabar
    Free Member

wrong saxbar its mostly uphill and on heavyish bikes would take closer to an hour of graft

Ah well – did it coming back from Les Gets quite a few times. Sticky tyres going downhill on road must have given illusion of flatness!

tomaso
    Free Member

It is definately a grind of a ride from Morzine to Les Gets but if means getting to an uplift then its got to be worth it.

thered

That’s annoying, i know it’s no use to you but the super-morzine bubble went down twice while i was there in January. The company that runs the chairs and lifties out there really is crap.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If I recollect, it’s only a half-hour or so flattish pedal around to Les Gets by road isn’t it?

Put it this way, it’s downhill enough from Les Gets to Morzine that you don’t have to pedal at all.

The ‘tuck trains’ of DH riders on big rigs making the shuttle back to Morzine (the off road way takes longer and is pretty boring) is always quite amusing.

Scamper
    Free Member

i’ve heard from someone in the village the lift form Prodains to Avoriaz has technical problems at the moment

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pleney is crap anyway. Hit the super Morzine lift. Go up both lifts at top head left along ridge keep goin along walkers path, then over a wee fence pedal over a field for 60 yds then some flowing turns then fireroad to the end which swings left for a rapid rooty wide DH you’ll come to a no entry barrier go left follow it back thru tech into Morzine. Good run. There’s 3/4 more non official runs on SM side.

Steve77
    Free Member

The Super Morzine isn’t open yet though. Just have make the most of Les Gets

tracknicko
    Free Member

and pleney isnt crap. it’s a magical place.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per my earlier suggestion, call Jane or Rob on 04 50 75 86 69 (office) or 06 31 18 12 63 (mobile) and I’m sure they’ll drive you up a hill or three.

legend
    Free Member

wysiwyg – Member

Pleney is crap anyway.

just been sticking to the main line i assume? shame, as you’ve missed around 10 awesome ways down

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pleney main track is crap, but i was assuming if he didnt know where any of the other special les gets tracks were he wouldnt know where any of the pleny tracks are. And no, in 6 weeks of morzine last summer i rode main track twice – cos its crap.

tracknicko
    Free Member

for the love of god it’s not crap.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

why is the main line not crap?

tracknicko
    Free Member

because there is a lift from the top to the bottom of it. because it is about 200% longer than anything in the UK. because after about 3 runs you start hitting it so fast your eyes fall out from concentrating.

why is it crap? cos its got a few braking bumps and its wide?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

cos its boring and flat out its just not special in any way and needs maintenance. any of the tracks off it yes. les gets and morzine need to get their fingers out as chatel is really on the ball.

les gets is a ghost town compared to what it used to be.

tracknicko
    Free Member

to be honest i haven’t ridden the pleney in about 3 years, but i fell in love with it in 04.

agree with the second part of all that above mind, done some great things at chatel, including some seriously hard shit that they seem to have got away with not only leaving in, but also counting as proper trails!

what’s that first right called off the top top lift at chatel? cos that is **** savage. called electricity or something, basically turn out the lift and off a cliff. proper.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Which Pleney run are we saying is crap? We managed to get up to the top at the end of the day and hit the Black run down to the bottom. Isn’t it a world cup downhill track? Either way its anything but flat and boring, especially on anything other than a downhill rig. The rooty bit at the top was brutal.

tracknicko
    Free Member

flat out. not flat!

Steve77
    Free Member

I was there last weekend. It might not be the absolute best track in the world but it’s in ok condition at the moment and definitely isn’t ‘crap’. If it was next to the Cwmcarn downhill it would get more traffic than Cwmcarn does

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Biking in Morzine…when the lifts don't work?’ is closed to new replies.