Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Biking in Ireland this Summer. Where?
  • kayak23

The top of the morning an ting.

I’ve never been to Ireland before and fancy heading out there this Summer for a little week or so long road trip with camping and nice beer.

I’ve looked into ferries and Holyhead to Dublin would seem easiest for us. I understand that maybe the best biking is further North though?

I would welcome a bit of travelling about mind and seeing a bit of the place, so where do folks recommend for enduroist gnarpooning all-mountain type riding, perhaps with an uplift thrown in for a day or two?

Where are the favourite riding areas?

Cheers.

kayak23

Sweet, cheers. I’ll have a good browse later 🙂

tony07
    Free Member

Do a couple of days around Wicklow, carrick where the ews was. Then head north, Rostrevor, big wood, Tollymore and Donard for some great natural trails.

kayak23

Cheers Tony07

fudge9202
    Free Member

If coming up north would recommend Castlewellan, super trails and camping facilities, also just 2 miles from the natural trails of Tollymore.

andy4d

A wee bit from Dublin but take a look at ballyhoura. Best trail centre in Ireland imo. Bike park ireland is a fun day if you like uplifts/bombing downHill.

Caher

Yep i too went here last year and its like Swindley with bigger hills:
    http://visitballyhoura.com/index.php/mountain-biking/

Saccades
    Free Member

Camp in roundwood do a loop of Ballinstoe (has gone very fasy as just been armoured again). Then do the Gravity enduro trails there.
    Then go to Djouce (3 km over djouce mtn), where Robin Seymour keeps building a lot of excellent trails. Then do the gravity enduro trails there.
    Redcross is close to Carrick (emerald enduro – 7 world class trails and lots of not so world class) and has an awesome brewery/campsite (silver sands is another v nice campsite next to the sea).
    Ticknock above dublin has some more not well regarded trail centre trails (I love metro 2?, not the first one from the aerials) but has more people building singletrack than anywhere else in ireland (ticknock is visible from all of dublin, 10 mins by car if traffic wasn’t around).

There’s also glendalough and surrounds which are more all day epic spins like you would get in the peak district rather than woods of trails (if that makes sense). You’d need a GPS or a local guide as everything in ireland is “cheeky” and not on maps.

andy4d

Ballyhoura is way better/bigger than swinley. The new tech loops have added loads of downhill fun as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Biking in Ireland this Summer. Where?’ is closed to new replies.