Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Biking Hols – leaving bike bag at airport?
  • MrSparkle

Next year I’ve got a trip planned which entails taking the bike on the plane and then riding from the airport. How go you go on for leaving the bike bag at the airport? I presume you can hire a locker or something but are they generally big enough for a big **** off bag?
    Ta.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You might struggle – not all airports have left luggage. You should be able to check tho.

What we have done is to book into a hotel the first and last nights near the airport and taxi to there, build the bike up there and then get them to store the bag

MrSparkle

Hmm. Not keen on that option – not with the budget I’m going to have, anyway!
    Thanks, TJ.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Cardboard box and bin at airport. Find a friendly lbs prior to the return leg for a new box.

MrSparkle

Yep, that might be best bet. Just checked and there’s no left luggage at the airport I’m going to anyway. Doh.
    Thanks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Buy a roll of bubble wrap as well for the return leg

blades2000
    Free Member

Sorry if you have already done this but check the requirements for flying with your bike.
    I took a flight to NZ a few years ago and all I was required to do was remove the pedals and turn the handle bars on the bike.

I also choose to remove the deraillure and chain to prevent damage. This meant I didn’t need worry about looking for a box on the return leg. Bike arrived with no problems, I was rather tired when I put it together again though and managed to route the chain incorrectly through the deraillure but that is another story. 🙄

legend
    Free Member

all I was required to do was remove the pedals and turn the handle bars on the bike.

one of the first times I flew with a bike one arrived at the destination like that, it also had one of it’s seatstays stoved in though! Which, iirc, you can’t really claim for as you haven’t adequately protected the item

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Biking Hols – leaving bike bag at airport?’ is closed to new replies.