Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Biking holiday in the French alps 2010, help needed.
  • MaxWall
    Free Member

I haven't been MTB'ing in the Alps since 2004 (Morzine), so where is a good place to go and who are good holiday companies to go through. I only do XC not built for downhilling!! but am capable on pretty much all terrain. Looking to go early in the season with about 4 or 5 mates, taking our own bikes (if it's still a good idea??).

Any experiences and recommendations would be appriciated.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

If you are wanting to try somewhere different to the normal egocentric downhill parks of morzine/ les gets then maybe you could try the area around briancon on the french/ italian border?
    been there for a couple of summers, fantastic weather, great range of mountain trails and rarely come across any other bikers, let alone anyone else on the trails. a friend of mine runs a small holiday self catering place in the area, website is here:
    AlpSun

alternatively you can camp in any number of good campsites in the area. plenty of other activities if you dont want to bike all the time, but there is so much good biking to be done, why would you not want to!

If you have been a STW reader for a while you may remember an article in Issue 36 of the magazine about one particular route in the area- if not then there is a link on the website, or here: STW Article

The area is really safe for taking bikes and certainly doesnt have the same attraction for thieves as the big resorts. If you are looking to guide youself around then there are a couple of good guide books, but they are only in french. alternatively, if you are staying with AlpSun they have a number of printed routes and gps tracklog files that you can follow. If you are looking for a guide then they can give you some numbers. When i was out there, a friend of theirs was trying to become a recognised guide, and he is featured in the STW Calendar in the Briancon picture.

If you are looking for a good biking destination with big biker-crowds then Verbier is a must! Although the trails there tend to be very steep as a warning- all great fun though and plenty to keep you interested!

Enjoy, and let me know if you want any more info.

Rickos
    Free Member

8 of us went last year with The White Room – http://www.whiteroomchalet.com/sumintro.htm – and they were fantastic. We went before the lifts opened so got to use the van, but Steve can cater for whatever you like – XC, day long traverses, a bit of DH, singletrack, etc. The Tarantaise Valley where they do their riding is excellent (Les Arcs, Ste Foy, etc.) and the food is superb. Excellent value for money too and yes, all you can drink in beer and wine is included in the price.

nasher
    Free Member

Definately reccommend trailaddiction if you want to go to the alps

Or for something abit different and good for out of ski lift season.. rivierabike

Stripe
    Free Member

Reccomend Chamonix.

There are numerous trails to climb well over 2000m, cracking descents and a lift system (not early season though).

Try http://www.MBMB.co.uk for the chalet & guided holidays.
    Check out the campsite at Les Choselets, at the foot of a 47 switchback descent – awesome. And its a 10 min walk to Argentiere for a beer in the evening!
    If you need a bit more B&B luxury – http://www.demipiste.com or you could rent an appartment from them too.

Its not all easy riding, most of it is at the upper end of riding ability and almost all natural terrain, plenty of rocks/roots etc.

Awesome though – you'll be left smiling at the end of every day!!

steveh

I'd reccomend trail addiction in les arcs, one of the original companies there. They use the lifts to get height but most of the riding is nice flowing singletrack. Trails tend to be quiet and the accomodation and food is great.

rhys
    Free Member

The Three Countries Tour MBMB was brilliant.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Try the Morvan if its XC your after.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you can follow a map/guide book and don't need showing around, we had an amazing time in Les Gets last year with Kat and Jim at Pure Mountain Holidays

Worth going with them for the food along. 6 of us went and agreed it was the best run chalet we'd ever come across, summer or winter. We'll be back with them again this summer.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

bikevillage.co.uk – THE original company in les arcs

good if you are happy to cycle uphill a bit (lifts may well not be open early season anyway)

quality people, great guides, FANTASTIC food and a max of 12 people per week, not 50 odd like some of the other bigger operators.

they also have a very good relationship with the locals, which helps.

oh, and the descents are mind blowing. i'll be back for my 7th (or is it 8th) time this year.

Kramer
    Free Member

Had a great time with The White Room last year.

robarnold
    Free Member

I second Bike Village, awesome terrain, gut busting food and Sam and Tom's knowledge and enthusiasm knows no bounds. I'll hopefully be out at some point in the summer after having to cut my guiding season short last year because of ill health

Bikevillage.co.uk

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Biking holiday in the French alps 2010, help needed.’ is closed to new replies.