Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Biking holiday in Nepal, peru etc?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Thinking of doing a biking holiday in either of the above mentioned locations or possibly somewhere else,looking at end of 2013 or thereabouts, just fancy doing something a bit epic. Has anyone got any experience’s or reccomendations? 🙂

olddog

I went with Saddle Skedaddle to Sikkim in NE India – Himalayan foothills – in this context a hill is anything up to 3000m!

The tour was fantastically well organised and it would have been extremely time consuming, if not impossible to organise without Skeddaddle.

They do tours all around the world inc Peru, Chile and Ladakh in NW India. The Ladakh trip gets up to 5000m from memory, the highest road in the world.

They do both MTB and road tours.

I cannot reccomend highly enough, the tour was some very physically challenging cycling and genuine immersion in local culture, food, religion etc

The local guides were from Rimo Expitions, an Indian company who mainly do trekking and mountaineering in himalays, but also cycling. They were very good, knowledgable and happy to give local view on culture and particularly buddhism. I have a feeling they operate in Nepal as well as India.

d45yth
    Free Member

KE Adventure do a lot of trips to places like Nepal, Ladakh and Bhutan. I looked into going to Peru with Skedaddle but the problem is that the best biking is near the coast. If I went over there, I’d want to go to Macchu Picchu which is miles away. There’s good biking in that area but I wouldn’t want to compromise when paying thousands.
    If I was going on the kind of holiday I think you’re looking for, I think I’d choose Guatemala. Amazing scenery, better than Peru I think. Have a look for some pics of Lake Atitlan, it’s like something from the land of the dinosaurs, with smoking volcanoes and what not. KE do trips there and you spend a night in ‘Casa del Mundo’, this is a hotel built into the a cliff face on the edge of the lake and can only be accessed by boat!
    Wherever you choose I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time due to the kind of place you’re wanting to go…they’re more of an adventure than a normal holiday. The closest I have come to it (on a much lower budget) was travelling across the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. We were staying in gites along the way and the facilities were very basic to say the least. That’s what made it though as the holiday came to be about more than just the biking. I met a great bunch of like-minded people, with who I now go away with on biking weekends.
    If I was to go somewhere in the near future, I think it would be with Mountain Bike Kerala. They do some amazing looking trips and for a reasonable price too. I can’t afford to take off on 3-4 grand holidays these days.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m looking at some options at the moment, but veering towards Patagonia. I’m in two minds about signing up with a group of flying out there and winging it myself.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

we went to India with http://www.mountainbikekerala.com we did the KErala singletrack tour, however he does one in Himalayas called Pindari Glacier. I haven’t done that trip but I can highly recommend the company and Mike as a guide was fantastic.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into a Peru trip for next year and Sacred rides looks like a good option to me. Their inca trails rides include a day out to hit machu pichu but also some good sounding tides.

andysquare
    Free Member

Hi there, long time lurker, but I don’t tend to post too much.

I live in Peru at the moment – in a city in the south called Arequipa. The riding out here is fantastic, a lot of variation. Don’t be put off by most of the advertised bike shops being in Lima: there are good ones here in Arequipa, and Cusco too, they just don’t really use the web much. A lot is done here by word of mouth.

There are no end of places to ride here in Arequipa (not wanting to cross-advertise, but I’ve put routes up on the Training section of BikeRadar). And I’m off to Cusco for 8 days next week, so I’m hoping to get some riding in then too. I’ll happily report back afterwards if people are interested?

Edit to add: There are pics on my Flickr – http://www.flickr.com/andybrogan

turbo1397
    Free Member

@d45yth and ti_pin_man, yip, macchu picchu was the one that was top of the list. never really thought about guatemala, will give that a look. @d45yth,your morroccan adventure sounds good! To be honest there sounds like quite a few options,will also have a look at patagonia.. thanks for all the feedback.. 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

d45 mountain bike kerala was not 3-4k it was awesome. Morocco with http://www.cycleactive.com was fanatsic as well.
    India:

Treehouse for evenings of drinking and playing Cluedo!

Morocco:

giantonagiant

* Hijack *

Druidh, who are you looking at Patagonia with? I really fancy going, but had pretty much resigned myself to a trekking trip.

Thanks & soz for hijack

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I wanted to hijack it too…always wanted to go to South America but woudl rather MTB than trek..so any recommendations for biking hols in Patagonia, Chilli, Peru etc owuld be very grateful!

d45yth
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member

d45 mountain bike kerala was not 3-4k

D45yth
    If I was to go somewhere in the near future, I think it would be with Mountain Bike Kerala. They do some amazing looking trips and for a reasonable price too. I can’t afford to take off on 3-4 grand holidays these days.

I know the Kerala trips are not 3-4k. That’s what I was saying…Peru, Guatemala and other trips to the USA I’ve looked at would’ve cost that though. Sorry if I didn’t word it clearly.
    Nice pics btw!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

review of the keral trip here pics as above but more words!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Was looking at Peru with these

http://www.sacredrides.com

blurltrider
    Free Member

We went to Peru with Sacred Rides earlier this year. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it – the quality of biking, organisation and guiding, and scenery was really excellent. It was an amazing place and we are planning to go back.

turbo1397
    Free Member

just had a look at the sacred rides routes in peru.. they look awesome, thanks for all the input folks! 😀

olddog

Good thread. Nothing like being on a bike to get close to a country. Inspired me to start looking for my next trip, always fancied Chile. . .

turbo1397
    Free Member

this looks like a contender also..

http://www.mountainbikekerala.com/tours/pindari-glacier

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Turbo we didn’t do the Pindari Glacier tour but I can vouch for Mike as a fantastic guide and holiday host, it’s more like riding with your mate, he is fantastic.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Biking holiday in Nepal, peru etc?’ is closed to new replies.